Pasture grasses not germinating?

/ Pasture grasses not germinating? #1  

Timmer92

Tractor
Kubota L3901
Hi all,

We bought land a few years ago that was historically corn and soybeans. We started a pasture last fall by discing the field several times and then planting winter rye. It grew nicely last fall and has come up well this spring. A month ago we bought a pasture grass mix from our local co-op, which is mixed for our area with sandy soil. It's Kentucky Fescue, Climax Timothy, Amazon Tetraploid Ryegrass, and Orchardgrass. We used a broadcast spreader to apply it. We didn't work it into the soil in part because we have limited equipment available to us but also because the rye was already a few inches tall and we were worried about damaging it. Knowing that broadcasting and leaving it wasn't as efficient as other methods of application, we applied the seed at a 2.5x rate. We had a hard rain the day after seeding and we were pleased because we could see that a lot of the seed was worked into the soil by the rain. Right after we got a a couple week cold spell with some snow and 2 nights with a hard frost. I had read about frost seeding before we planted and understood that there's really no "too early" when it comes to seeding so I thought I'd be ok. It's been above 60 degrees for a couple of weeks now, and we had high 70's now for the last week or so. We've also had some good rain, including one 2.5" soaking. We still aren't seeing any germination. I can see seed on top of the soil here and there, but a good share of it seems to have worked into the soil. Am I impatient or would it seem to you that we aren't going to have success?

Last edited:
   / Pasture grasses not germinating? #2  
Seed to sprout needs soil contact. Sounds like your "good soaking" floated the seed away from the soil. ("seed on top of the soil") You try running a culti-packer on it to regain soil contact. No till seeders work very well in your situation.

/ Pasture grasses not germinating?
Seed to sprout needs soil contact. Sounds like your "good soaking" floated the seed away from the soil. ("seed on top of the soil") You try running a culti-packer on it to regain soil contact. No till seeders work very well in your situation.

I'm not sure if you are suggesting going over it again now, or is that a "next time" statement? If we can still see seed maybe suggesting now? I guess the follow up questions are could we have gone over it with a brillion when the rye was a few inches tall, and could we still now that it is probably 14"?

/ Pasture grasses not germinating? #4  
I'd say your seeding was fine, and the snow and frost should have provided more than enough conditions to get the seed bedded. Germination will require soil temperature at least 50 degrees, but some grasses will need 60 or more for optimum rates.

/ Pasture grasses not germinating? #5  
If you still have the bags/packaging...check the dates...most grass seed has a shelf life....

/ Pasture grasses not germinating? #6  
I just realized you said winter rye, not rye grass. How thick it that Rye? It's used to prevent germination of weeds by shading them out because it grows so fast. Ours here is headed out and over 6' tall now.

If you still have the bags/packaging...check the dates...most grass seed has a shelf life....

That's interesting. I was wondering if that could be a possibility. Several weeks later I purchased another bag that we threw out by hand in a corner that we decided to add to our pasture. There is some germination there that I noticed yesterday which got me excited so I checked various points of the field and I'm not seeing any germination elsewhere.

I just realized you said winter rye, not rye grass. How thick it that Rye? It's used to prevent germination of weeds by shading them out because it grows so fast. Ours here is headed out and over 6' tall now.

Thick or tall? The winter rye is a good 14" tall now. When we harrowed after broadcasting the seed, the seed settled into the the disc grooves for the most part. It actually looks like we planted it with a seeder as there are defined rows. Within a row the growth is fairly close, and there are maybe 2-3" between disc rows.

Last edited:
   / Pasture grasses not germinating? #8  
FWIW...there should be a tag on the packages that give the production date of the seed and also a "do not sell after" date and or a statement saying "produced for 2020 season" etc...

Not all brands are the same but there is a federal regulation requiring certain info...

How to Read a Grass Seed Label...

14. Sell By Date: Each state allows seed to be sold for a fixed number of months after the initial testing or retesting. Allowances vary, and some states require tags carry "sell by" dates. Seed tags include these dates alongside state-specific listings.

/ Pasture grasses not germinating? #9  
Seed does not normally go for very good to nothing will germinate. The percentage of it that will sprout does decline over time but never without it being damage should the sprout number be zero and that is what you are saying. What have you sprayed the field with? Anything that could prevent the sprouting? Not possible a neighbor sprayed something that could and it drifted onto your land? Could the seed been exposed to a chemical before you put it out?

See if you can rent a no till grain drill the next time you want to inter seed.

Seed does not normally go for very good to nothing will germinate. The percentage of it that will sprout does decline over time but never without it being damage should the sprout number be zero and that is what you are saying. What have you sprayed the field with? Anything that could prevent the sprouting? Not possible a neighbor sprayed something that could and it drifted onto your land? Could the seed been exposed to a chemical before you put it out?

Thanks for the thoughts. We have owned the property for 4 years and have not applied any chemicals. We do have a farmer to our north. I can't say what he has done other than he was planting about 1.5 weeks ago. There is a 150' of woods between our fields. I would think that the natural barrier would keep any of his chemicals from drifting, but I have no experience to draw from.