Pay it forward.

/ Pay it forward. #21  
Welp, I was wrong!:eek: It does collapse.

Sure like to see a picture of the collapsed frame. :thumbsup:

Did get him to play with the Dynasty a little bit. Pretty quick learner.

That his first time runnin' GTAW? If so, I'd say he's either a fast learner or he had a great teacher :2cents:

/ Pay it forward.
Sure like to see a picture of the collapsed frame. :thumbsup:
He'll be back next weekend, I'll get a picture of it collapsed. I should have got that today!:confused::rolleyes: I was shocked that it did collapse.

/ Pay it forward. #23  
Looks like the cotter pins are steel and the tubing aluminum. Won't the steel pins elongate the aluminum holes once the weight of a rider and pedaling is added to the equation?

/ Pay it forward.
There will never be any weight on this frame. No wheels, handle bars, or seat.

/ Pay it forward.
Got it. Somehow I thought it was going to end up as a collapsible bicycle.
I think this project is just to give the kids some hands on experience. Yesterday he was taking video of me coping the pipe. I ask him if he was going to tell everyone that he did the work. He said no! He said some kids had to outsource the project to be built. When I said REALLY?:shocked: He said why?:confused: I said average shop rate is starting at $90.00 an hour. He got that deer in the headlights look!:laughing:

/ Pay it forward. #27  
That is a great project. I do not know that it is practical but I could be missing something. True test would be putting wheels, a crank, chain, fork, handlebars....

I had a nephew who wanted to be an engineer. I do not know why but he changed his degree and became a mathematician. My father was a BSME and he spent some time around my Dad. My nephew was deprived of the grease monkey upbringing my siblings had. He is now more mechanically adept than he was fresh from his bachelors degree. Riding and racing bicycles helped him get a relationship with how some things work.

/ Pay it forward. #28  
Way to help out a fledgling ME. I barely remember my engineering lab days now but there sure were a bunch of students that had never done much mechanical such as work on their own cars. Those days seems to be about dead and gone.

/ Pay it forward.
Way to help out a fledgling ME. I barely remember my engineering lab days now but there sure were a bunch of students that had never done much mechanical such as work on their own cars. Those days seems to be about dead and gone.
This kid is sharp as a tack, but he has never been exposed to this kind of work.
He was killing me with the lay out of the holes, So I went to the roll away tool box and pulled out a center head, and showed him how to use it. He was floored, never seen one before.:D

Attachments

• A center head.JPG
    A center head.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 187
   / Pay it forward. #30  
Reading this makes me think about the better engineering schools, like the old General Motors Institute- where the students went to school for an interval (say 4 months??) and then worked in a plant for a similar amount of time, back and forth until graduating. Plenty of hands on experience with real materials and procedures. Same in European schools, bye and large. This country would benefit greatly from more apprenticeship programs, I think.