Pellet choices....

/ Pellet choices.... #11  
( Pretty much any woo dhas the same btu content per pound so as long as you are buying it by the ton, it shouldn't matter as far as cost is concerned. )

Well, not exactly. Attached is a little chart that will give a better explanation of the btu's available in certain woods. Besides some of the soft woods, like pine, being undesirable because of the creosote they will build up in your chimney, the moisture content is important. If you are buying wet wood, you are paying for water. Basically all water in the wood must be heated to 212 degrees for it to boil out; this produces no heat. Only after that moisture is gone does the wood start to break down, creating fuel gasses, which is at just over 500 degrees.

- That chart's last column just calls out "units" required to make 1 million btus. That chart maker gets an F. What unit is being referred to? Once complete, that chart is great for cordwood. Doesn't really work for pellets since the moisture level is controlled and the pellets compressed to a consistent density. The chart is dependent on density inherent in the cordwood.

/ Pellet choices.... #12  
Hey Junkman, You could walk the woods of Quabbin Resevoir and pick up tons of moose pellets for free. I wonder how they would burn. They are made from wood in a way. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Pellet choices.... #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( - That chart's last column just calls out "units" required to make 1 million btus. That chart maker gets an F. What unit is being referred to? Once complete, that chart is great for cordwood. Doesn't really work for pellets since the moisture level is controlled and the pellets compressed to a consistent density. The chart is dependent on density inherent in the cordwood. )</font>

Yup, I meant 'good chart' for cords of wood and to show the differences between wood species.
The units column is (the way I read it), just an index of the relationship between the species, and a portion of a cord to get the million BTU's. It's the reciprocal of the next to the last column of recoverable BTU's from a cord of that species.

I agree it doesn't fit pellets from different woods.

/ Pellet choices.... #14  
Boy,
How naive am I?
I thought this thread was about Gun pellets...
/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Of course we don't need them other kind here /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, the sun VACATIONS here in the winter! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pellet choices.... #15  
Ok.. called Lowes.. price for premium is $3.97.. which brings a ton to $214.50... but.. for some reason they had the ton price at $178.50 in their computer system.. that was the same price as last year.. so I went ahead and bought 3 tons.

Saved $108 bucks. Thanks Junkman.. I probably would have waited a month or so to buy them.

/ Pellet choices.... #16  
Buffalo and cow chips used to be a very common source of fuel on the prairies! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Pellet choices....
Send me 10% of your savings in the form of bags of pellets.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pellet choices.... #18  
Hey.. I got off easy.. I would have offered half! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let's see.. 10%.. comes close to 3 bags.. how about 2 full bags and the one they delivered busted open! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pellet choices.... #19  
Bought Dry Creek pellets in July for $159. Had a feeling the price would creep up.