Pet Grooming Vacuum?

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
We have a 'house cat' and a small 'house dog' that seem to shed 12 months a year. I see "pet vacuums" for sale. Suppedly they are very quiet, which I suppose that keeps the animal from panicking.

Anyone ever used, or tried to use one of those things? If so, how'd the animals react?

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #2  
Be careful. The air flowing causes static electricity at the nozzle and will shock your pet. Try it on your shop vac for effect.

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #3  
Our cats like to be combed, but they still shed. Not as much as the dog who also likes to be brushed. I'm not sure that any vacuum is going to do anything better except aggravate your pets.

Not sure where my wife got it, but she found an inexpensive dog fur rake that is very effective at removing excess undercoat. It's not this one, but this one looks similar. https://www.amazon.com/Ryans-Pet-Su...0617&sprefix=dog+fur+rake,aps,240&sr=8-3&th=1

I suspect finding a good brush that you and your pets both like will be your best option.

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #4  
We had a friend who used a purpose made vacuum on her horse to great effect. Basically, it was basically a fancy shop vac with a super long, narrower, hose. (Pool hose sized) Worked great. Pricey, IIRC.

She also used it on her dog, but you have to dial back the suction for the longer hair, and thinner skin.

I think I would try a long hose first. We can't get near our dogs with a vacuum hose end; the sound of the air is too much for them.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Pet Grooming Vacuum? #5  
I have a Cocker Spaniel. He sheds. I have three different, upright floor vacuums. They all do an adequate job. None are designed specifically as pet vacs. Just get a good one and use it regularly.

Miele, GTech, Oreck.

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #6  
Our Aussie Shepard get groomed regularly (he's a hair producer big time) but my wife uses a shop vac with a small brush on him and he don't mind at all.

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #7  
We have one of those whole house vacuums. The vacuum is hidden away, we use that sometimes for our dogs. But I have to say the furminator brush is the best, you get so much hair. Our dogs love getting brushed. They try and box each other out when we pull it out, they want it
16902557768455280727276142843231.jpg

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #8  
We have 6 Akita's and it's hard to describe just how much hair they shed on a daily basis. Fortunately my wife is crazy good about keeping the house clean, or I would never of been in favor of getting the second Akita. We also have three massive doggy doors for them to come and go when they want. This brings in a lot of dirt, even though the yard is all grass.

To deal with the hair and the dirt, she runs two Roomba's every day. Then it's easy for her to deal with any hair that they miss. She has to clean the hair out of the Roomba's when they are done, but that just takes a couple minutes. I never deal with it, and she runs the Roomba's when I'm not at home. I hate the sound of them!!!

/ Pet Grooming Vacuum? #9  
We had a friend who used a purpose made vacuum on her horse to great effect. Basically, it was basically a fancy shop vac with a super long, narrower, hose. (Pool hose sized) Worked great. Pricey, IIRC.

She also used it on her dog, but you have to dial back the suction for the longer hair, and thinner skin.

I think I would try a long hose first. We can't get near our dogs with a vacuum hose end; the sound of the air is too much for them.

All the best,

Peter grt from here pet grooming top
Hi can anyone recommend a good, sturdy, hardwearing vacuum cleaner for a dog grooming salon please?! Have gone through 2 Vax Power 7 Pet in under 2 years! Many thanks!