Pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Pet peeves #21  
Having to listen to donercycles on a road a half mile away. I can hear them through closed windows. Even hear them over the lawn mower through hearing protection. That say Its their right, but what about my and countless others who have to listen? Most are illeagal but nothing done. They dont save lives and are just "look at me I'm cool " noise makers.

/ Pet peeves #22  
Having to listen to donercycles on a road a half mile away. I can hear them through closed windows. Even hear them over the lawn mower through hearing protection. That say Its their right, but what about my and countless others who have to listen? Most are illeagal but nothing done. They dont save lives and are just "look at me I'm cool " noise makers.

And blipping the throttle constantly. What exactly is that about? Are Harleys so junky thats the only way they'll stay running?

/ Pet peeves #23  
People who don't bag their trash, so the truck comes picks up their can and loose stuff flies all around and to the ground. One of my neighbour's is notorious.
Yes the turn signal thing also, why use it once you have already entered the turn lane.
Drivers who impede traffic, not using the turnout lane, or someone not sure where they are going, looking around, and last second decisions.

/ Pet peeves #24  
You have an error in your post.

Having to listen to donercycles on a road a half mile away. I can hear them through closed windows. Even hear them over the lawn mower through hearing protection. That say Its their right, but what about my and countless others who have to listen? Most are illeagal but nothing done. They dont save lives and are just "look at me and how obnoxious I can be" noise makers

There, I fixed it.

I almost pulled out in front of one of them a few years ago. Pulling across 2 lanes so I looked left, right, left again, then started to pull out before looking to my right again. I don't know where he came from but ' must have just come around the corner of the nearby intersection. He was still giving it to it and reaching for another gear when I stopped with my front end just across the center line... it was intown and he was doing well over the 25 mph speed limit yet I still got the one finger wave. It scared me so badly that I almost went to the local PD to see if I could review the traffic cam to see just what had happened.

I never heard the bike until he was past me.. logical considering the pipes point behind him.

Last edited:
   / Pet peeves #25  
When it comes to retail web site search functions...they are really not "search engines" they are not searching anything but the retailers database and how well they work relies on the underlying SQL query scripts and acceptable search terms...they are not intuitive like many internet search algorithms...

For pet peeves...drivers that leave large gaps between them and the cars ahead of them at signals blocking off access to turn lanes etc... drivers that do not keep pace with vehicles ahead.

grocery store employees that block isles with stocking equipment etc. during regular shopping and rush hours...

Store clerks that are chatty Cathy's and would rather stand and visit than hurry things along...store clerks that are on the phone with someone not standing there wanting to pay and get out...

firetrucks etc. blasting their horns and sirens and confounding traffic to get to minor fender benders where there are no reported injuries...

Drivers that take up handicapped spots but are just sitting in the car waiting on someone else in a store etc...

one more...

When talking to service companies on the phone where giving certain information is required (name address, account # etc., etc...) and you have to repeat this when changed to a different person at the same company...especially ones that ask for your phone number knowing full well that they are looking at it on their computer screen or caller ID etc...

/ Pet peeves #26  
You have an error in your post.

There, I fixed it.

I almost pulled out in front of one of them a few years ago. Pulling across 2 lanes so I looked left, right, left again, then started to pull out before looking to my right again. I don't know where he came from but ' must have just come around the corner of the nearby intersection. He was still giving it to it and reaching for another gear when I stopped with my front end just across the center line... it was intown and he was doing well over the 25 mph speed limit yet I still got the one finger wave. It scared me so badly that I almost went to the local PD to see if I could review the traffic cam to see just what had happened.

I never heard the bike until he was past me.. logical considering the pipes point behind him.

The exact thing happened to me. I was going to work, stopped at a 2-way stop, looked both ways and back to the right, pulled into the highway, and the guy blew by me doing probably 60 in a 40 zone. The only thing I can figure is that my brain was thinking "car" and failed to recognize a cycle...and I noticed when he went past that he had his headlight on. I think sometimes the light is counter productive; in WWII they used lights to camouflage aircraft. In any case, took me a couple of minutes to recover, and I never forgot it. My brother, a retired fireman, used to also be a first responder; had some pretty grim stories about cycle accidents.

/ Pet peeves #27  
^^^
In my case I don't believe that he was there the first time that I looked. I was pulling out onto the third leg of a "Tee" intersection, and believe that he came around the corner and opened it up. I don't know how fast a Harley will go in second, but he was shifting gears again when I stopped.

/ Pet peeves #28  
I almost pulled out in front of one of them a few years ago. Pulling across 2 lanes so I looked left, right, left again, then started to pull out before looking to my right again. I don't know where he came from but ' must have just come around the corner of the nearby intersection.

Not necessarily. Most people have no idea that there is a tiny blind spot in their vision. Apparently you've learned in the past that you must look both directions TWICE or you can certainly miss something. Alternatively, instead of just glancing in each direction, look for one full second each direction. I used to have little card with a stick man drawn on it that I used to demonstrate that in driver training.

For pet peeves...drivers that leave large gaps between them and the cars ahead of them at signals blocking off access to turn lanes etc... drivers that do not keep pace with vehicles ahead.

I guess it depends on your definition of "large" gaps. One of the first things I learned as a young police officer was to stop behind the vehicle in front of me far enough back to see where his rear tires meet the pavement. That practice can (1) give you room enough to pull out and around the car in front of you without having to back up, should that become necessary, and (2) if you should get rear ended by a vehicle behind you, it can keep you from being knocked into the car in front of you. And that has happened to me twice in my lifetime. Getting hit from behind is never good, but if it has to happen, I'd prefer only 2 cars instead of 3 involved and mine damaged only on the back end instead of both front and back.

/ Pet peeves #29  
Not necessarily. Most people have no idea that there is a tiny blind spot in their vision. Apparently you've learned in the past that you must look both directions TWICE or you can certainly miss something. Alternatively, instead of just glancing in each direction, look for one full second each direction. I used to have little card with a stick man drawn on it that I used to demonstrate that in driver training.

I guess it depends on your definition of "large" gaps. One of the first things I learned as a young police officer was to stop behind the vehicle in front of me far enough back to see where his rear tires meet the pavement. That practice can (1) give you room enough to pull out and around the car in front of you without having to back up, should that become necessary, and (2) if you should get rear ended by a vehicle behind you, it can keep you from being knocked into the car in front of you. And that has happened to me twice in my lifetime. Getting hit from behind is never good, but if it has to happen, I'd prefer only 2 cars instead of 3 involved and mine damaged only on the back end instead of both front and back.

That does not help the drivers that can't get into a left or right turn lane and completely miss a light cycle because inconsiderate drivers left excessive spaces between the cars ahead of them...for a majority of vehicles the space you cite is probably about a half a car length or so depending on the style of vehicle...I often see spaces three or four times that much left...

FWIW...I was taught in drivers ed way back in HS that if you thought you were going to be hit from behind while stopped at a signal etc...to let off the brake to lesson the impact...?

/ Pet peeves #30  
When it comes to retail web site search functions...they are really not "search engines" they are not searching anything but the retailers database and how well they work relies on the underlying SQL query scripts and acceptable search terms...they are not intuitive like many internet search algorithms...
What kills me is that the Lowes search engine would not return a particular "ice and water shield" product that I was standing there looking at a pallet of it that did not have a price, but they had it (with "ice and water shield" in the name) when I went and browsed through roofing materials on their website.

When talking to service companies on the phone where giving certain information is required (name address, account # etc., etc...) and you have to repeat this when changed to a different person at the same company...especially ones that ask for your phone number knowing full well that they are looking at it on their computer screen or caller ID etc...
Especially when you get transferred to the 3rd department in 15 minutes...

Aaron Z

Status
Not open for further replies.