Posthole Digger PHD Operation Suggestions

/ PHD Operation Suggestions #1  

thavil

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I have a Kubota BX24 and finally attached my Leinbach 7200JR post hole digger. The PHD was purchased with a 9" auger but the auger doesn't have a good bit at the end to start the digging process. The cutting edges aren't very well made either. I went to TSC and bought a 12" auger made by FIMCO. The auger is heavier, more flights and the bit/cutting edges are better made.

My issue is that now that I have a better auger, I keep screwing myself into the ground instead of digging the hole. I keep the rpm's very low (just above idle) but then I can't use the 3ph to pick the auger backup before it screws itself to deeply. I buried it so well the other night that I had to move the tractor back and forth to loosen the auger. I know this isn't best practice, since I am causing unnecessary strain on the PTO shaft.

Any suggestions are welcomed before I really get my auger stuck and have to bury it in place.

/ PHD Operation Suggestions #2  
I used to (back in the day) pull it out of the hole frequently to spin the dirt off. After a few holes you develop a sense of when "it's time to clear" (just before it gets stuck)

For those times of mis-calculation (or getting under a tree root) carry a pipe wrench to shut down and back the auger out. :eek:

Sherweld

/ PHD Operation Suggestions #3  
Buy a bigger tractor. :D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

/ PHD Operation Suggestions
Thanks for the suggestions Sherweld. I had the sense of "it's time to clear" with the 9" auger but the 12" digs so fast, I haven't developed that yet. I attempted to use a pipe wrench on the 12" auger but it was buried to deep. I actually popped two lower ribs attempting to get it out, so this is when I used the back and forth method to free the auger.

Buy a bigger tractor. :D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I knew that was coming!!:) I wish I had one but the little BX24 does so many good things for me on my small farm, except for this project, I really don't have a use for a larger tractor.

/ PHD Operation Suggestions #6  
The first few times I used one, I was pretty good at just "screwing into the ground". I now have a feel for it, and it hasn't happened again. Ease the 3pt down slowly....inches at a time, and clear it back out every 10" or so. You've only got to dig the bit out once to learn your lesson!:)

/ PHD Operation Suggestions #7  
1st, make sure the cutting knives are attached properly to the auger. I see a lot of users who don't have them on right. Yes there is a wrong way. 2nd, if it digs in too much for you, set the draft height so that it only goes down 6 inches at a time. I run the rpm way up so that the diggings come flying out of the hole. If you can't pull it up, keep screwing it in. It may have found the edge of a rock and won't release easily. Let it go as far as it can, eventually the rock, clay, bones, steel or whatever else you're digging into will pop out of the hole, too. 3rd, when the hole is fully dug, stop the auger and pull it out gently. The loose dirt will stay in the flighting and give you a clean hole to work with.

/ PHD Operation Suggestions #8  
1st, make sure the cutting knives are attached properly to the auger. I see a lot of users who don't have them on right. Yes there is a wrong way. 2nd, if it digs in too much for you, set the draft height so that it only goes down 6 inches at a time. I run the rpm way up so that the diggings come flying out of the hole. If you can't pull it up, keep screwing it in. It may have found the edge of a rock and won't release easily. Let it go as far as it can, eventually the rock, clay, bones, steel or whatever else you're digging into will pop out of the hole, too. 3rd, when the hole is fully dug, stop the auger and pull it out gently. The loose dirt will stay in the flighting and give you a clean hole to work with.

ZZ beat me to it. Once it hits bottom the dirt comes out. Also I don't understand why you don't just use the 3pt depth control to let it go down a little at a time.

Thanks tony123, zzvyb6 and pitt_md. All three of you just informed me what I must be doing wrong. I must be lowering my 3pt arms too much by holding down on the 3pt control lever too long. I do have the control set to lower very slowly but maybe I need to adjust the lowering speed even more. Hopefully with this small tractor that there is a bottom and it doesn't just keep screwing into the ground and lift my FEL up in the air!!

/ PHD Operation Suggestions #10  
I also had the same issues.... so I wanted a reverse on the PHD..... Hydraulic & $ ...fixes everything.

Bro-TekPHDBH.jpg