pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #201  
“Deluxe Aluminum Wheels (4).............$185”
Try pricing that today.....
Probably $1,000!
or more!
That was window sticker, I usually ordered my trucks and could negotiate about 17% off, invoice price. NADA, KBB, Edmunds were great tools!
I went in with my printout of what I wanted and the Invoice prices and if they could get within $500.00 we made a deal.
I did that with the 91, 97, and 02 models. The 06 was a locate and had almost all the options I wanted and what was missing they added. They gave me crazy money for the 02 I traded in, they must have had a buyer already!
The 2019 probably wasn't my best haggling but they gave me decent trade in allowance for the 06 with 188k miles on it.

/ pickup truck size #202  
So I have my mind set on a new Camaro SS that is 10x better in every way, including all of the comforts of my " lux truck", while still being a very fun and cool modern muscle car.
Better hurry. Word is that GM is set to discontinue production of the Camaro....not selling enough of them to make it worthwhile.

/ pickup truck size #203  
Better hurry. Word is that GM is set to discontinue production of the Camaro....not selling enough of them to make it worthwhile.
I hope they are not planning a electric SUV version of the Camaro.....:LOL:

/ pickup truck size #204  
I was going to to tell him that but I didn't have the heart.

They've already halted production the last coupla months but they're set to re-open later in the Month.

The Camaro is like driving a coffin. Too many blind spots. Which is why they'll be gone by the end of 2022. Typical gm, great idea but they bungled it.

The Mustang will hang around. They're the essence of the American Pony Car. Fast, affordable for a young working man and an all-around really decent car. And Ford keeps trying to improve them. I don't see them giving up on the Mustang any time in the near future -- But you just never know.

The times they are a'changin

I should write a song

/ pickup truck size #205  
Years ago on other forums, I always used to suggest the Spicer 7-speed “easy shift” transmission. It’s a perfect diesel pickup transmission. I used to have one in my IH4800. It’s much easier to shift than the ZF and the NV. It looks similar in size. Has a granny 1st and a 7th OD. It was capable of standing up to a DT-466 in high torque applications and was rated in high GCWR applications
Would have been great in a Ram behind a Cummins

I read a few posts on Eaton Fuller conversions, primarily on Cummins Ram applications. MD truck trans handles power easy and off the shelf parts for conversion but find an OD model. 4x4 is main challenge which is what I think killed an OEM using those or Spicer in a pickup.

/ pickup truck size #206  
On the Diesels, they had to seriously de-rate the engines because the Stick just won't hold up to that kind of power. Oh, I'm sure there are some manual trans that will but who wants to pay 5 grand for a stick and then have to fight it like a wild hog every time you drive it?

Besides, an automatic does almost everything better than a stick. The only thing I can think of that a stick might do better is 'walk' on its own in a field. I used to put my old Ford in Granny Low and just let it idle through the bumps, ruts, mud and muck. It walk out of a almost anything. Somtimes it would stall out but not often. 300, 6 cylinder.

300 six and granny low 4-speed was best powertrain in the early 80s.

For the Cummins Ram, more like they didn't update the transmissions to match since so few sales. So same G56 trans while they kept updating the automatics to handle more and more power. Used to be the manual was rated more power cause the 5.9 would eat the 4-speed automatics.

Anyone other than die hard manual guy wouldn't give up the 1000 ft lb cummins for a 660 one. I said I'd never own an automatic truck, but economics speak louder then preferences and the market place says no manuals. I had a ZF6, long throw and not a 1/4mile speed shifter either. My current automatic truck accelerates faster and shifts quicker.

/ pickup truck size #207  
300 six and granny low 4-speed was best powertrain in the early 80s.

For the Cummins Ram, more like they didn't update the transmissions to match since so few sales. So same G56 trans while they kept updating the automatics to handle more and more power. Used to be the manual was rated more power cause the 5.9 would eat the 4-speed automatics.

Anyone other than die hard manual guy wouldn't give up the 1000 ft lb cummins for a 660 one. I said I'd never own an automatic truck, but economics speak louder then preferences and the market place says no manuals. I had a ZF6, long throw and not a 1/4mile speed shifter either. My current automatic truck accelerates faster and shifts quicker.
I had that combo in an '84 F-150. Loved it. Didn't realize how weak it was until I started pulling my brother's race cars to and from DeSoto speedway on an open trailer. Not bad on the low end. Weak but lovable.

They could have updated the Daimler-built G56 but it would have been so heavy, so complex and so expensive, nobody would bother with it. Plus, there's a reason why the US Army uses Automatic Transmissions in their tanks. They hold up better.

The new Mustangs and Camaros with the Ford-Developed 10-speed Automatic will scare you.

I drove my buddy's F-150 EcoBeast with the 10 speed and let me tell you, it wasn't quick...... It was seriously BADAZZ. I mean, it would pin you back in the seat. Bigly. Fast to the point of being a little scary. None of this blowing up the tires, making stupid smoke and a lot of noise like an old SBC.... It felt like being in a 747 when the pilot punches it on a short runway. It just pulls and doesn't let up.

That thing would out-pull his old 2001 7.3L PS Dually. Doesn't have the suspension or the brakes, but it will out-pull it.

Going forward isn't always good, but it's often better. Sometimes us old codgers (I am, I admit it) can get a little 'sour grapes' attitude going on. Not that I'll ever admit it.

/ pickup truck size
Personally Im a fan of Toyotas owned one old pickup before tacoma, two tacos one had a factory frame replacement , one fJ and two 4runnrrs in my lifetime. Never any major problems with any. The 4.0 is a good motor in terms of reliability.
22re best engine ever made by Toyota up to date. longevity, reliability

/ pickup truck size #209  
I hope they are not planning a electric SUV version of the Camaro.....:LOL:
These days they can fake that V8 growl into your speakers so you THINK you are still driving the real thing. :rolleyes:

I always liked the Camero. Last one I had was a 2nd generation

Last edited:
   / pickup truck size #210  

the 2.4 liter was a good motor the 2.7 wasn't bad either mated with a 5 speed they were sufficient for what I needed at the time. At times I miss those simple swb shortbed 4wd trucks they would go anywhere. Ever see what they did to a 4x4 toyota pu on the original top gear bbc version?