pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #31  
The brakes are much bigger on the new 1/2 t trucks than the old 3/4 t ones too.

/ pickup truck size #32  
Frankly, Im really happy with “we can build it (him) bigger, stronger, faster”... (cheap reference to the “Six Million Dollar Man”).
Having my Ram 5500 so strong it’s GCWR is 44,000lbs keeps me from having to own and haul with a tractor trailer.
No I KNOW a tractor trailer will haul substantially more, but todays small-medium truck like mine with a 40’ trailer can haul 12 tons of hay. I can drive home at the end of the day, and park it in my garage. I can also do smaller jobs.
A tractor trailer with a 54’ trailer can haul about 18 tons of hay, but I can’t use it for much else.
I say keep on going. Make them bigger, stronger & faster.
The new GM 4500-6500 trucks show promise. Just need higher towing ratings.
Very true -- though it also makes it easier to start unknowingly treading into areas requiring a CDL (either by federal minimums or in states that may go beyond the minimum). Which can be a problem for those of use with arms thick enough we'll always measure as having "high blood pressure."

One of those things that both frustrates and amuses me is how much bad/incorrect science is present in modern medicine ....and even more so when it ties into regulation. Of course when it hits that latter point of tying into regulations it's just about futile to even try correcting the flawed understanding of physics/science (e.g. wall thickness and composition do make a difference on crush resistance despite that fact being ignored in taking blood pressure measurements) even though going with the flow can create hazardous situations.

(might just be me, but I'd rather have people with "high blood pressure" operating heavy equipment/trucks than someone with too low of blood pressure given the latter can cause fainting)

So bigger, stronger, faster and much safer to operate ....yet the regulations aren't likely to change or recognize that any time soon. 🤷‍♂️

BTW I'd suspect some of the growth in size may also be driven by the need to create more space for crumple zones in order to get better crash testing results.....

/ pickup truck size #33  
If it was up to me I’d like a more basic truck but my wife wants more options, in my case an XLT vs an XL. One thing I always wish for is rubber floor mats. I end up buying floor mats to cover up the carpet that mimics rubber floor mats.

/ pickup truck size #34  
I still use my 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 W/T with crank windows and vinyl floors, it hit a deer square on - rebuilt it. Got a log across the hood - rebuilt it. Still only has 96k miles on it and runs like a champ
101439883_10157284733785983_1623302040782372864_n.jpg

111202599_10157421745435983_1139656125230614111_n.jpg

/ pickup truck size #35  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)
You can option out a Honda Accord to over $40,000 so an F150 Lariat stickering around $50,000 seems pretty much inline considering the difference in capability. Vehicles in general are just more expensive than they were 40 years ago.

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...
30 years ago a standard F150 was 79 inches in width. Today it's 79.9 so that's less than an inch wider. Newer trucks are significantly longer and higher though so it makes them seem much bigger compared to an older pickup. IMO that's due to most trucks being 4 door people haulers today. That's just added foot and head room for occupants.

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Once people figured out how awesome it was to sit up high versus dragging your rear end on the ground where you can't see anything, the utility of the pickup became a no-brainer for many. Today the manufacturers are simply making them with the same luxury and tech options you could always get on sedans. And honestly, the weekend warrior types don't need an 8 foot bed because all they're hauling is bicycles and fertilizer. Those types largely weren't buying trucks 30-40 years ago but they're most definitely the majority of the market now which is why the shorter beds are so common.

To add a personal anecdote, 4 years ago I bought an XLT off the dealer lot for less than $30,000. That's the equivalent of $12,000 in 1985 dollars which was about the base price of an F150 at the time. However, I guarantee you the newer model is lightyears better in every way than that 1985 model. You don't have to get all those expensive, fancy options if you don't want to ;)

/ pickup truck size #36  
bringatrailer.com I really shouldn't torment myself with that site.....

Spend a little time there, and it's clear that many people share your thoughts on clean classic trucks...... certain ones close for big (at least to me) $.

Then again.... vs. the cost of new trucks.....

Rgds, D.
I hate you ! I got drool all over the keyboard.;)

/ pickup truck size
PuffyC: in depth & well thought out reply & shows today's market is more diverse than my thinking in my original post statement.

/ pickup truck size #38  
Very true -- though it also makes it easier to start unknowingly treading into areas requiring a CDL (either by federal minimums or in states that may go beyond the minimum). Which can be a problem for those of use with arms thick enough we'll always measure as having "high blood pressure."

One of those things that both frustrates and amuses me is how much bad/incorrect science is present in modern medicine ....and even more so when it ties into regulation. Of course when it hits that latter point of tying into regulations it's just about futile to even try correcting the flawed understanding of physics/science (e.g. wall thickness and composition do make a difference on crush resistance despite that fact being ignored in taking blood pressure measurements) even though going with the flow can create hazardous situations.

(might just be me, but I'd rather have people with "high blood pressure" operating heavy equipment/trucks than someone with too low of blood pressure given the latter can cause fainting)

So bigger, stronger, faster and much safer to operate ....yet the regulations aren't likely to change or recognize that any time soon. 🤷‍♂️

BTW I'd suspect some of the growth in size may also be driven by the need to create more space for crumple zones in order to get better crash testing results.....
Oh I am way into CDL territory. Got mine 30+ years ago
I would suggest getting one if youare on the fence. One of the best moves I ever made

/ pickup truck size #39  
I bought a Tonka truck the first of this year (Toyota Tacoma)
It seemed large to me for a mid sized pickup truck.
Looking into it, the Tacoma is pretty much the same dimensions as a 90's C-10 GMC. Length Width and height. Big difference is there are no "cab only" models.

It's either Access cab and a 6 foot bed, or dual cab and a 5 foot bed. Gone are the 8 foot beds ....

A reflection of our times.

/ pickup truck size #40  
I hate you ! I got drool all over the keyboard.;)
That is a seriously dangerous site if you have the slightest issue with impulse control :love:.

It's the other site (second after Jay's garage) that reminds me that there is still plenty I don't know about vehicles, and I'm still coming across vehicles I never knew existed....

Rgds, D.