pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #172  
You need to view cars as an asset class similar to homes.. You have basic homes and mansions. Not everyone wants or can afford a mansion. There are a finite number of both and that drives the value and the rate of depreciation.. Now with online car stores one can compare if it is worth going to Florida to pick up a vehicle in Florida and save $2k? For some it is. For others,, not so much.. The rapid decline of the sedan that was replaced by SUV's are trends and the desire for big trucks is just an outgrowth from SUV popularity. And if u look further,, there are work trucks and then there are sport trucks.. Each with its own options.
The problem is the world is becoming overwhelmed with sport trucks and few work trucks are available. The same with homes, not much affordable housing available anymore. Not a problem if you have money, but far too many people don't have the money for anything that is available. Face it, we are becoming way too materialistic, demanding stuff we want but don't really need.

/ pickup truck size #174  
How many of these tiny cars will hold more then 4 people? With a crew cab you can seat 6 with leg room. My new Chevy 1500 crew cab will will comfortable hold 5 people at 6'6", 6'3", 6',6' and 5'6". Name a car that will do that, they are all little buzz boxes. So either a SUV or a pickup. There are no more Olds Delta 88s anymore.

/ pickup truck size #175  
This is an interesting video on the versatility of the Flexbed in the new small Ford Maverick. It seems a lot of thought went into making the bed very adaptive to many uses. It can even haul 4x8 sheets of plywood. Interesting:

/ pickup truck size #176  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
Yup, my pet peeve is the ridiculous size of domestic trucks for the last 10 years. I owned several trucks over the years while I farmed, always regular cab 2 door with 8 ft bed and 2 wheel drive. Loved them all, they worked well for me, and had few problems I couldn't fix myself with simple tools. Then I bought a new 2014 Silverado with same configuration and discovered quickly that I could not get comfortable behind the wheel due to my height (6'2"). Thought I would get used to it, maybe could adjust the seat better, removed the PITA headrest, but all unsatisfactory. Then discovered it is almost impossible to access items stored behind the seat since the seat does not move ahead far enough to allow both arms to reach in back there. Then found out that due to the height of the truck I could not pick up items laying in the center of the bed without climbing onto the truck and getting into the box. Then found the manufacturer had to build a step into the bumper because the box is so high. Diificult to work under the hood without a stepstool because of the height. The high flat front grille has the aerodynamics of a garden shed. And this is the 2WD model! Complained to the dealer and was informed that my preferences were such a minority that almost all the manufacturers now build all trucks on the 4WD platform with 4 door cabs and short boxes which (as observed) don't hold a sheet of plywood. If you want 2WD they just leave out the front differential, they have higher profit that way. Apparently now it is almost impossible to get a new truck with my preferences. That's okay with me since I don't need a truck anymore. I am happy with my SUV which cost less than half the truck, and if I need a sheet of ply I hook up my trailer. Sorry for the rant, I needed this. Condolences to those who share my frustration.

/ pickup truck size #177  
I'm excited that the new Toyota Tundra will finally compete with the big 3... from what I've heard it will be a game changer. We'll find out very soon... hopefully I won't be disappointed.
Meh. That's what they said when the current generation was introduced in the mid 00s. It wasn't.

/ pickup truck size #178  
I wanted a "basic" MT mid size. The only option for the MT was the Tacoma Sport (Canada get's other models with MT)

Neither of the two area dealership would even talk about ordering one. They just looked into their computer screens and found what was regionally available in the dealer networks. Both found the same vehicles and prices were MSRP.

I bought the one that came available after getting tired of shopping. (no regrets)

But it would be nice to be able to get a stripped down compact rig as a cab &chassis to serve as a base for a flat bed or UTE bed with short drop sides.
The rest of the world gets them, But not N.A.

If I didn't want a truck, I would buy a Honda ;-)

eta

Did you know....

The Toyota "technology package" comes with a front looking (and recording) CAMERA,,, that you don't get to use.

Call it the lawyer camera. "For release to authorities or legal matters only".

/ pickup truck size
Had no idea when i posted this thread there would be so many reasonable & diverse opinions on the subject. what i can say is that is good to see how many can accurately express what they want in a truck. what i've learned in this is that the market is far more diverse with attention to customer options than i 1st realized. this is a good thing.

personally, i have always leaned to smaller work horse pickups. my beater is a '92 4wd long bed 4cyl Toyota (pre Tacoma) the only new vehicle i've ever purchased & will remain so. 279k original engine never broken into. use it for highway & farm utility including trailer loads, etc.

i will never own a large beast, but it's good to hear well thought out posts of how each of you arrived at your ride.
i'll continue with my truck in the remaining yrs i have on the road. couldn't be more pleased, & that includes the smirks & ridicule i receive when the mall cruisers pass me by, (that's ok, the truck was paid for out of the showroom), best regards

/ pickup truck size #180  
I've often wondered in recent years how is it that American (& foreign) full size pick up trucks have become so large, luxury laden, and overwhelmingly expensive almost requiring a 2nd mortgage to purchase. (i'm not talking about those who make a living from their pickups, just everyday owners who cruise the country, malls, & trips to Lowes...)

What is your take? this is observation only, we all have our preferences. I'm talking sheer size & price. I travel narrow dirt roads almost daily, & drive very defensively around blind curves knowing most current pickups almost aggressively consume 2/3 or more of the road while insulated with power & luxury. That's ok, but puts me at risk. Most of the time i just pull off to the side...

So has it been the result of 1) modern owners actually needing all if it? 2) or is it Americans love affair with bigger, better, & more technology laden? I also note that the size of the payload bed continues to shrink all the while. (some 4 full size door models can't even carry a sheet of ply)
Personally i feel both are true: we now use pickups for in a wider range of activities, & want having it packed into one large size. But dang, the price & size
Hey, just as a simple metaphor to compare: look at the vat sized drink tumblers now served @ fast foods. do we really need it?

On the flip side, i've also noticed that especially since '08 crash, Detroit has done an outstanding job of producing more fuel efficient & modest sized passenger vehicles...strange. So tell me about the big pickup truck size craze. Again, not dumping, just observing.
Apologize in advance if this seems like an inane post, but i'm blown away every day of what the full size pickup has now become. best regards
Maybe I am to old but what happened to the traditional pick up? ( standard cab,8ft bed,v8- manual tranny,no carpet or a/c?) Can't get one no more. Fine if they want to sell the loaded ones but the basic one should still be available for those who want one. Or what about one that wants a sport truck. Those would like a v8, stick shift,short bed,standard cab with a low geared rear end. Again Not available.