pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #231  
Every time someone makes a tractor purchase thread, everyone always says buy the biggest one you can afford but still fits your application.

This way of thinking also applies to the trailers people use to haul their tractors around. Everyone always says buy one at least 2-4ft longer than you need because you’ll find more stuff to put on there.

Both theories, go along with the buy it once mentality.

In my opinion, the same goes for trucks.
In my case, it does everything. It’s a jack of all trades.

If you can buy a bigger/better truck and it makes sense to you, (not to anyone else) do it.

That’s probably good logic for a trailer that gets used 5 times a year but I use my trailers at least weekly usually more and a trailer that’s too big for the job is a nuisance.

/ pickup truck size #232  
^ says the guys who drives a school bus as a daily, lol (mega cab). :ROFLMAO:

Yeah with all the terrible drivers on the road, I’m not taking any chances. Plus I use the mega cab for my dogs / snowmobiling trips.

Ive been daily driving long wheel base Cummins trucks for 15+ years now, it’s not hard.

/ pickup truck size #234  
I like high useful technology and increased economy, but would like to see the curb weigh of the old F-350 with a 460 versus the new one. I see the new engine specs, they are much better, but often times wonder if decreased weight is also helping.
1000 pounds of steel from the 1980’s replaced by plastic or aluminum in todays trucks makes a big difference in speed and helps with towing.
The older trucks weight was lower than newer ones! The extra wires and plastic is actually heavier than you think! I know 60s mustangs no where near as heavy as modern mustangs!
Also lightweight trucks are not better for towing its the other way around you need heavier truck to be safer and able to keep traction when stopping or if on unpaved roads! Best ratio is 1/4 or more weight should be in the truck! So if your truck is 8k then anything over 32k total is not very safe! Of course this is dependent on proper trailer and im talking gooseneck types! Bumper pull is much less for safety of course but a 10k truck will be safer than a 5k truck with same weight trailer and load! I wont ever get the aluminum bed trucks if I have to buy a newer one and that is what is available I will buy one with no bed and add a heavy flatbed!

/ pickup truck size #235  
I wont ever get the aluminum bed trucks if I have to buy a newer one and that is what is available I will buy one with no bed and add a heavy flatbed!
1623886952404.png

I have owned a half-dozen trucks, which I know isn't going to impress anybody in here, but I've had a bedliner in every single one. Sometimes a plastic one with a rubber mat on top of it.

I know there are instances where you can't have a bedliner for one reason or another, but if you're not in that category, it's nuts not to have one. If you absolutely can not have a bedliner, like if you're hauling cow manure all day, then I can see not buying an aluminum body truck.

/ pickup truck size #236  
I always had plastic bed liners in my pickups. The new spray on liners are nothing more than thick paint, and only his damage rather than preventing damage to the bed. Had to take the cap off and the liner out the bed for a paint job, and the bed was still like new, and I've hauled some pretty nasty stuff in it over the last 16 years.

/ pickup truck size #237  
View attachment 702736

I have owned a half-dozen trucks, which I know isn't going to impress anybody in here, but I've had a bedliner in every single one. Sometimes a plastic one with a rubber mat on top of it.

I know there are instances where you can't have a bedliner for one reason or another, but if you're not in that category, it's nuts not to have one. If you absolutely can not have a bedliner, like if you're hauling cow manure all day, then I can see not buying an aluminum body truck.
Bed liners are tough as nails

/ pickup truck size #238  
I agree. Bed liners absorb impact. Spray on does not.

/ pickup truck size #239  
I like my truck with no bedliner at all. The bed is full of scratches and dings. So what? Zero rust.

Always heard that the plastic bedliners trap water (and salt/grime/grit) underneath which actually promotes rust and bed failure prematurely. Probably takes a decade or more though, so who really cares.

Spray on bedliners are gross. Why would you want your bed to be sticky/tacky? And then guaranteed, the coating fails eventually and starts flaking or chipping off and you get flecks on your cargo. No thank you.

/ pickup truck size #240  
The truth is, they will sell you a new pu that isn't loaded to the gills and cost less...

Problem is, they don't stock them because no one buys them!

SR
Problem is the statement (not loaded to the gills) is their discretion and not the customers. A not loaded truck doesn't come with an automatic tranny. (IMHO). I would like a 4wd,long bed,standard cab,v8,manual tranny,in my choice of color. ( not a white fleet truck). That's not available in any make or model to my knowledge anyway. Why can't it be ordered? Sorry,just had to vent..