pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #271  
So - I have no use for a car. I need something that can haul a lot of "stuff". This is my world:
View attachment 703106
All right, but on a full tank of 70 liters of diesel, i can drive 1300km or 800 miles.. or 500 miles when i tow a 3 ton trailer. I have no use for a pickup truck, i can haul clean goods in the boot or dirty (and/or heavy) goods on the trailer.

About 5% of my mileage is with a trailer, i dont want to haul a bed along when i dont need one.

/ pickup truck size #272  
Well i dont have a pickup truck... their larger frontal profile, diffs and transfercases to add weight and friction (fuel consumption and road tax) make it unattractive in Europe to use as commuter vehicle.
I don't know if it differs in Holland or not, but here in Portugal, other than the extra fuel consumption, which is not that much more, it's very attractive to own a pick up truck. Those are registered as goods vehicles and pay like €53 on the yearly road tax, very anywhere from €150 to €250 on the common car or SUV, depending on the displacement and emissions output.

/ pickup truck size #273  
That's right, you and I live in two different worlds.

I had an appointment with my eye doctor last week which meant a round of 350 miles (~ 563 kilometers). That's because there are no eye doctors anywhere closer to me, nor a Home Depot where I can buy building supplies, etc. Between my place and Reno, the nearest "city" 175 miles away where the doctors live and the shopping is, are but 3 tiny towns where all you can buy is fuel and a snack. So - when I have to make a "town" run my truck comes back fully loaded...sometimes I even take a trailer to haul everything.
So - I have no use for a car. I need something that can haul a lot of "stuff". This is my world:
View attachment 703106
Amazing picture. Beautiful

/ pickup truck size #274  
I don't know if it differs in Holland or not, but here in Portugal, other than the extra fuel consumption, which is not that much more, it's very attractive to own a pick up truck. Those are registered as goods vehicles and pay like €53 on the yearly road tax, very anywhere from €150 to €250 on the common car or SUV, depending on the displacement and emissions output.
Aside from heavy towing, many commercial users here will opt for full-size vans - high volume of secure storage that is well suited for shelving, workbenches etc.

We have some crazy-tall high roof (factory production, not customized) vans available here now...... tall enough that I wouldn't want to drive one empty through a bad Winter storm !

I see a lot of 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter vans here lately - nice for Winter, and job site visits. GM used to have a full-size 4x4 van option, but I'm not sure if that's still in production.....

Rgds, D.

/ pickup truck size #275  
They changed that rule, now vans and pickuos are taxed as passenger cars, but you can deduct that if you have a VAT number: meaning that a VW Caddy is no longer attractive as a commuter vehicle... let alone a heavy pickup truck.

A former colleague of mine, who started his own heavy equipment repair shop, is fond of US pickup trucks and bought a 2nd gen Ram Cummins to drive in the weekends. For work, he puts his tools in a Citroën Berlingo...

The Dodge he has on commercial license plate, he got a commercial drivers license for it, in order to avoid tax on heavy passenger vehicles.

/ pickup truck size #276  
Aside from heavy towing, many commercial users here will opt for full-size vans - high volume of secure storage that is well suited for shelving, workbenches etc.

We have some crazy-tall high roof (factory production, not customized) vans available here now...... tall enough that I wouldn't want to drive one empty through a bad Winter storm !

I see a lot of 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter vans here lately - nice for Winter, and job site visits. GM used to have a full-size 4x4 van option, but I'm not sure if that's still in production.....

Rgds, D.
Yes, America is slowly adopting European vans, now they become available with decent power and a lean Diesel.

In the early 80s when Mercedes had just taken over the vans of Hanomag-Henschel, they came with a 50hp diesel in it. 20 years ago during my apprenticeship we had a big Sprinter (tall and long roof version) whose base engine was a 70hp diesel... it was useless on the highway, weaving into a traffic lane on the on-ramp was often dangerous. Those were a far cry from the current 319 Sprinter with 190hp and, most important, bags of torque...

Yes, high and tall roof options are a challenge in strong crosswinds: but you guys get the 2500 and 3500, not even a 1500 (Sprinter 200 in Europe) those are spooky in long and tall execution...

Merc has a great ESP which counters crosswind jolts pretty good, which makes driving in strong crosswinds absolutely safer..

/ pickup truck size #277  

This video is about Ram but it tells the story as to why full size pickups are so popular.

/ pickup truck size #278  
I found wind-up windows......

HiLo, and Mech dff lock :cool:

Too bad I'd have to move to the UK, and grey-market it in......

I miss the Suzuki's here..... very popular, and some still live on in BC (less salt on roads), scrambling along goat-paths.....

Rgds, D.

/ pickup truck size #279  
The price of fuel will downsize vehicles unless you're a millionaire.