Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor
Seein any gators?
Just about every water hole around here has a gator in it, but I didn't see one in this hole today, but we are still having some nights in the 40's , as spring comes on full force in the next few weeks them gators and snakes will come out crawling.

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #402  
Saw these on a bike ride recently. Pretty good size.

IMG_2986.JPG

Saw these on a bike ride recently. Pretty good size.

View attachment 860328
Yep they are out sunning, most folks around here don't like them in their fish ponds but they don't compare to the damage that an otter
can do to the fish population in a pond.

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #404  
Gators. You can have em :D. Of course rattlesnakes are no joke but you got them too and a bunch of other venomous snakes >

Pygmy rattlesnake

Eastern diamondback rattlesnake

Coral snake

Copperhead

Cottonmouth

Timber rattlesnake

Canbrake rattlesnake

Florida cottonmouth

Florida Brownsnake

Gators. You can have em :D. Of course rattlesnakes are no joke but you got them too and a bunch of other venomous snakes >

Pygmy rattlesnake

Eastern diamondback rattlesnake

Coral snake

Copperhead

Cottonmouth

Timber rattlesnake

Canbrake rattlesnake

Florida cottonmouth

Florida Brownsnake
I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a diamondback in this part of Florida, but canebrakes or timber rattlers are plentiful, I really didn't know there was a difference between the two, I just thought it was probably a regional thing for what they are called, but I am much more skittish of the cotton mouth moccasin because during the summer every little waterhole in the woods and deep spots in the creeks where the water isn't running is subject to have one laying there hid waiting to bite it seems like, I usually get a dog bit every summer in the woods when they stop at a waterhole to cool off or get a drink of water they get it and will come out all swoll up, but I keep Benadryl in the truck and have been fortunate not to lose one.

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #406  
Pygmy rattlers are pretty aggressive, and also seem to really like it under the porch, around flower beds, ect, and they are small, hard to spot, and don't rattle normally.

Don't forget the scorpions, they won't 'hurt' you, but it feels like a cigarette being put out on your skin. One got me last night while riding the SxS, and I was tempted to strip out of the pants in the middle of the road. They will sting multiple times too.

Gators are a pretty inoffensive animal to live around compared to the others

Last edited:
   / Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #407  
We have all four species of venomous snakes here in SC. In the rattlesnake family most of ours are diamond backs. Probably the largest population of Copperheads and Cottonmouths than anything.

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #408  
My vet told me that a dog can handle the venom of a copper heard and cotton mouth, but not a rattle snake. Fortunately for me, the only rattle snake that exists here is extremely reluctant to bite, and so rare that most people will never see one in their life. I haven't.

My vet told me that a dog can handle the venom of a copper heard and cotton mouth, but not a rattle snake. Fortunately for me, the only rattle snake that exists here is extremely reluctant to bite, and so rare that most people will never see one in their life. I haven't.
Yeah, generally when a dog gets bit by a cottonmouth it will swell them up and make them pretty sick, but Benadryl seems to lessen the affects of the poison, also usually the hair won't grow back at the location of the bite. I only saw one dog get bit by a rattlesnake in my life and it was when I was about 10 years old, we were hog hunting in the river swamp and the dog was walking about 30 yards in front of us when he sqealed out as we got closer we heard the snake singing his rattlers and saw him, my dad killed the snake with a green sapling and within 5 minutes the dog was dead so it definitely wasn't a dry bite, the snake was a big old diamondback and after looking he had bit the dog up under his belly right next to his pecker.:oops:

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #410  
Had a couple of setters bitten by copperheads or cotton mouths. One twice, one of the bites was a left front leg, which swelled up and the skin split. A week of anti-inflammatories and 2-3 weeks of anti-biotics, and several weeks for the wound to heal. Her other bite, at a different time, was in her jowls. A couple of weeks of antibiotics. In all the cases the dogs got a couple of benedryl to help keep the airways open and a dose of Tractor Supply penicillin before a vet trip.
We had to snake proof the dog using a training collar on max and a handful of non venomous snakes, garter, king, milk as well as a road kill cotton mouth. Snake proofing seemed to work she did not get bitten again during her life.