Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #411  
Cotton Mouths and Eastern Diamondbacks are my biggest problems. Been some very large ones cornered in this area.
David from jax

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #413  
Cotton Mouths and Eastern Diamondbacks are my biggest problems. Been some very large ones cornered in this area.
David from jax
I don't know how big this one was, as I cut its tail off with the bush hog. Daughter met me after it coiled up between 3 trees that were too big to push over with a Contender in 410. Put a hole right thru its head. Wouldn't have messed with it, except it was heading right for a house owned by an 87 year old widow.
David from jax

Attachments

• Brandiskidsandsnakes030.JPG
    Brandiskidsandsnakes030.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 75
   / Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #415  
   / Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #416  
Happened to see this on way to work, along a RR to trail, where powerline was mowing. Pulled over to check, and it's about 80 LF of rail road rail, and it looks like he didn't get it with the mulcher and just pushed it out of underbrush/ground while turning his tracks.
20240411_124520.jpg

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor
I mostly find old fence wire, flint rocks, concrete blocks,bricks and general junk, but I guarantee the guys who do powerline ROW mowing and mulching get a lot of surprises. If there is any of that rail road track that is still straight it would make a fine drag behind a disc, not as good as a rolling basket but good and cheap none the less.

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #418  
There’s 10’s of thousands of dollars of scrap rail just randomly piled up and tossed aside in my area that someone should retrieve for scrap before it becomes inaccessible.

It’s left over from when we had railroads and manufacturing. Sadly, it’s all in China now.
Just last week one of my town’s railroads, abandoned since 1972, was partially torn out.

1712923189955.jpeg

1712923910984.jpeg

I am a bidder on removing the remaining trees and the buried railroad ties.
Where the large green gen-set is was a sidetrack, that ran inside of the brick mill. There was a flour mill and a lumber yard inside all the way up into the 1960’s. It’s now a museum of art.

Where you see the Deere excavator sitting was one of our towns train stations.

The rails were laid from 1899-1901 and abandoned in 1972 due to a massive hurricane (Agnes) which is still holds the number one spot for loss of property in the state of PA’s history.

The rails survived in-tact undamaged in my town, but were so severely damaged about 5 miles away, that the railroad decided they weren’t worth repairing.

IMO, it’s sad to destroy such usable infrastructure. It’s part of our American history and could still be a valuable asset.

Last edited:
   / Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor
There’s 10’s of thousands of dollars of scrap rail just randomly piled up and tossed aside in my area that someone should retrieve for scrap before it becomes inaccessible.

It’s left over from when we had railroads and manufacturing. Sadly, it’s all in China now.
Just last week one of my town’s railroads, abandoned since 1972, was partially torn out.

View attachment 861991

View attachment 861995

I am a bidder on removing the remaining trees and the buried railroad ties.
Where the large green gen-set is was a sidetrack, that ran inside of the brick mill. There was a flour mill and a lumber yard inside all the way up into the 1960’s. It’s now a museum of art.

Where you see the Deere excavator sitting was one of our towns train stations.

The rails were laid from 1899-1901 and abandoned in 1972 due to a massive hurricane (Agnes) which is still holds the number one spot for loss of property in the state of PA’s history.

The rails survived in-tact undamaged in my town, but were so severely damaged about 5 miles away, that the railroad decided they weren’t worth repairing.

IMO, it’s sad to destroy such usable infrastructure. It’s part of our American history and could still be a valuable asset.
Shameful and sad, there are still quite a few active RR tracks down this way, for the longest you would see hundreds of RR cars full of coal from up North, but the do-gooders have just about got coal eliminated for fuel to generate electricity.

/ Pictures from a skid steer mowing contractor #420  
Shameful and sad, there are still quite a few active RR tracks down this way, for the longest you would see hundreds of RR cars full of coal from up North, but the do-gooders have just about got coal eliminated for fuel to generate electricity.
The CSX RR that runs down Sr200/US301, you see cattle going north and Amazon trailers headed south. The RR running along SR5/US1 seems to be primarily aggregate heading south, and generic ship freight headed north. Feels like the days of 80 rail cars of citrus are gone.