Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,351  
At least we got the boy in the green sleeves out working this year,,, last year,, all he did was look out the window,,, Can his mom get a great pic,,, or what?? We have dozens of pics like that,, she just seems to have an "eye" for taking pics,, both pics were taken with a phone,,,

Great eye indeed.

I made a career from portrait photography and those are great.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,352  
We woke up to this view this morning (near Roxboro NC).

JAN7-snow-2.jpg

No pics of the tractor used, but had the 3038e out today with a rubber wiper edged 6' back blade doing the development private road from our place out to the county road (about 1/3 mile).

JAN7-snow-6.jpg

JAN7-snow-7.jpg

JAN7-snow-8.jpg

JAN7-snow-12.jpg

It was still snowing so the road was getting recovered as I worked (the middle was cleared before doing the margins), but the more snow moved, the less that will get packed into ice by traffic ...

After today I am pretty sure I am going to be picking up a set of chains for the loaded rear R4's. I have been looking at TireChains.com and considering either the "reinforced net" or the "twisted square" style. Any thoughts? Should I be worried about damaging the asphalt roadway (not in the best condition)?

Nick

What do you use for a runner edge?

I use ladder chains and have never noticed any damage or scrape marks on the pavement (I do a lot of on road driving on my dead end street) but then again I take it easy and baby the tractor, I don't spin my tires on pavement.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,353  
Watching that boy look out the window brings back the heartbreak that I had when that age.. and just had to watch and envy.
But now, I'm grown up (old) and have my own toys that now just wait in envy for some more snow.
But every chance I get, I give the "boy" a chance to participate.. and the shovel action on the deck was a treat to see.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,354  
Here's a couple of pictures of doing a driveway. The video won't load, will keep trying. IMG_5892.JPGIMG_5890.JPGIMG_5895.JPG

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,355  
Now that's a blower Kevin!!! VERY nice setup!

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,356  

After today I am pretty sure I am going to be picking up a set of chains for the loaded rear R4's. I have been looking at TireChains.com and considering either the "reinforced net" or the "twisted square" style. Any thoughts? Should I be worried about damaging the asphalt roadway (not in the best condition)?

Nick

I'd go with two link or four link ladder chains. Four links are cheaper, but a bumpier ride...two links are smoother, but quite heavy. Any chain can damage asphalt, but ladder types are less likely.
Before you buy chains...consider if you really need them. If your pictures show a typical North Carolina winter, then by all means, get the chains.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,357  

JAN7-snow-2.jpg

No pics of the tractor used, but had the 3038e out today with a rubber wiper edged 6' back blade doing the development private road from our place out to the county road (about 1/3 mile).

JAN7-snow-6.jpg

JAN7-snow-7.jpg

JAN7-snow-8.jpg

JAN7-snow-12.jpg

It was still snowing so the road was getting recovered as I worked (the middle was cleared before doing the margins), but the more snow moved, the less that will get packed into ice by traffic ...

Nick
Net style chains are awesome. They offer great lateral stability. They are easier to put on than regular chains. They also have built in tensioners.

Just spin the tires (excessively) and you will be fine. If you feel it starting to spin let up on the pedal.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,358  
Thanks for the comments guys! Gave it some thought & cost/benefit examination and decided that: (a) my need is pretty sporadic; (b) I was getting by, if slowly, without getting stuck with the R4's and (c) the majority of traction issues were front/back rather than lateral slip. That suggested the standard ladder configuration (4 link) was probably the right choice for a bit of improvement on ice & the least likely to damage asphalt of the options out there. I ordered a set + tensioners from TireChains.com & they should be in this week.

Nick

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,359  
Yeah, put the ROPS up so when you go under those snow-laden branches the ROPS will shake snow off and down your neck.. or just the branch will hit you in the back of the head.. :D

Unless I had a FEL on or working on slopes in the woods, the ROPS would be down. I'm a safety nut too.. ;)

I had to chuckle at this. First time I used my tractor in my field along the edges I lost count of all the branches that whacked me, Our came the cutters and a lot of trimming. I got pretty good standing on the seat and fenders - not safe, but worked. Now I can go anywhere on the property with the ROPS up - even through the barn door even when I forgot to raise it enough :eek:

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #3,360  

JAN7-snow-2.jpg

JAN7-snow-6.jpg

JAN7-snow-7.jpg

JAN7-snow-8.jpg

JAN7-snow-12.jpg

Nick

Also check out Quality chain - their prices were better that the other folks for the Trygg set I needed, There are also rubber chains out there (section of reinforced rubber across the tread) - ladder style. I have no idea if they work or how durable they are, but they are supposed to be pavement friendly.
Hope this helps.