Pin on Grapple?

/ Pin on Grapple? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I did a search on here, but could not find anything about having a pin on grapple. I don't have the skid steer type QA bucket, mine is a pin on. Does anyone make a standard pin on type of grapple where I would remove the bucket and then attach the grapple hardware to the FEL arms and use the bucket hydraulics to work the grapple? Sorry if this is already made but I couldn't find it on the EA website. I have a new L 2501 Kubota with 4x4 DT and FEL. Just wondering right now. Thanks for any help. I would like to get something like this in the spring.

/ Pin on Grapple? #2  
I bet WR Long can build you a pin on grapple. They built me pin on pallet forks for for my Kubota. I had to order through a dealer though. I don't think they sell direct to consumers.

/ Pin on Grapple? #3  
I got my WR Long 48" pin on from Everything Attachments. They had the hydraulic valve kit and free shipping. They even offer a discount if you buy the grapple and the valve kit together. I have the Kubota B1658 Quick Attach pin kit which makes swapping to the FEL a lot quicker.

John
KD4FTA

/ Pin on Grapple? #4  
Have you thought of going this route?? There isn't much I can't do with this set-up.

P1110083.JPG

gg

/ Pin on Grapple?
I guess I will wind up having to add some extra remote outlets for the grapple and get the single lid. I don't know if the L2501 hydraulics will handle a full grapple. That's why I was wondering about just removing the bucket and pinning on a grapple and using the bucket hydraulics/lever for the grapple. Thanks guys, I need to do a little more homework on this subject before deciding on the grapple style. ;)

/ Pin on Grapple? #6  
^^^ You still want full function on the FEL, lift and attachment roll, when using the grapple. You will need to add a 3rd hydraulic even if is accomplished by a diverter valve from either the lift or roll circuit. With a diverter you 'divert' the hydraulic oil flow from its original path to an alternate path. This give you an either/or function between the two circuits. If you choose to install a true 3rd hydraulic then you can move all three circuits at the same time.

/ Pin on Grapple?
^^^ You still want full function on the FEL, lift and attachment roll, when using the grapple. You will need to add a 3rd hydraulic even if is accomplished by a diverter valve from either the lift or roll circuit. With a diverter you 'divert' the hydraulic oil flow from its original path to an alternate path. This give you an either/or function between the two circuits. If you choose to install a true 3rd hydraulic then you can move all three circuits at the same time.

Is that what the "switch" I see talked about on here does? The switch activates the diverter valve? I appreciate everyone's patience for me, this hydraulic stuff is a new horse for me. I am use to the old Ford 8N where I could just hit it with the spurs and it would take off in what ever direction it was pointed..lol. :laughing:

/ Pin on Grapple? #8  
Is that what the "switch" I see talked about on here does? The switch activates the diverter valve? I appreciate everyone's patience for me, this hydraulic stuff is a new horse for me. I am use to the old Ford 8N where I could just hit it with the spurs and it would take off in what ever direction it was pointed..lol. :laughing:

Welcome to the club. Dad & I went from the 8N (now affectionately known as "The little tractor") to a Kioti CK35 (which to a lot of folks is *still* the little tractor LOL).

Big learning curve but boy is it nice!

To recap what Carhartt Cowboy said,
You currently have 2 functions on the loader control

1 Up & Down (Lift / Lower the loader arms)
2 Load & Dump (Curl Back / Dump the bucket)

The switches you see are either single Push Buttons for a Diverter valve or they are Rocker Switches for true 3rd function valves.

A diverter valve will Divert the fluid from one function to another.
In a grapple application it typically diverts the Curl/Dump function to Open/Close the grapple lid(s). In simplest term you move the stick to dump the bucket w/ the button off - the grapple will dump, with the button on the grapple doesn't move but the lids close.

A true 3rd function valve works with a rocker type switch that if you press one side of the switch, the grapple lids open, other side of the switch the lids close. This set up is a true 3rd function because you still have the ability to move/control the other 2 functions simultaneously.

There is a "catch" though - all your hydraulic functions are "stacked" - think of it like having 3 sink faucets plumbed on 3 floors of an apartment building. Guy on first floor opens a faucet - it gets full flow, second floor faucet opens and it has not so much flow, third floor faucet opens and nothing comes out because the other 2 guys are using it all.

The hydraulic system works similarly, the only fluid / pressure available to valve 2 (and 3) is what 1 isn't using, Valve 3 then gets what 1 & 2 aren't using if there is anything left.

So in reality on the majority of smaller tractors, the hydraulic pump doesn't have the fluid output capacity to supply all three functions at once.

As a real world example you can play with now; try raising your loader and dumping it at the same time. If you're like me and still learning and "ham handed" on the stick you'll see that the more you pull back on the lift function, the faster the loader goes up & the slower the bucket dumps, may even stop dumping. But if you're easy with it and feather your way into both functions, they will both move at once, just slowly. That's because they are sharing the pump output. The more the lift function demands, the less the bucket function gets.

Therefore you have to ask, do you really need/want a full 3rd function or will a diverter be enough (and there are cost & complexity issues also).

Here's a link to one of many threads here discussing the Pro & Cons of each by folks with a lot more knowledge and actual hands on time than me. It might help answer more questions you have.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/311703-diverter-valve-vs-true-third.html

Now - for your Pin On question - Everything Attachments offers some Pin On set-ups for their 50" grapple so you could check with them. Also there are Adapters to add a Quick Attach set-up to a Pin On loader. Might be another option for you.

Hope that helps.

/ Pin on Grapple?
Great explanation of the "inner works" on the hydraulics! I'm starting to get the picture of how this works into my head. I have trouble visualizing something that I have never seen/used before. I'll check the link you provided and thanks. :thumbsup:

/ Pin on Grapple? #10  
(snip)

Now - for your Pin On question - Everything Attachments offers some Pin On set-ups for their 50" grapple so you could check with them. Also there are Adapters to add a Quick Attach set-up to a Pin On loader. Might be another option for you.

Hope that helps.

I checked with them about making one of their wicked root grapples with a pin on mount for my ck2510 and was told they couldn't do it. I was directed towards the wr long by them. I really wanted the wicked for the lighter weight but would loose more than i would gain by adding the ssqa. As nice as it would be, it's alot of extra cost and loss in lift capacity being set out farther from the pins. Now I'm looking at the hound dog grapple and diverter kit from MIE.