PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it.

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I just stumbled on the country cooking forum and this has opened up a whole new area of TBN I now have monitor! :laughing:

Been BBQing forever I am sure like many of you. In short my BBQ journey goes something like this... I have had the classic Weber chargrill, got lazy and went through a few cheapo gas grills (never again), a little Hibachi style, and mini Weber (still have) mainly for camping or other portable ventures. And now I'm on my second Traeger as well as an awesome Vermont Casting Signature Series that I had for a long time but just put out to pasture due to no internal parts available. Oh well. It's actually sitting in my driveway waiting for its trip to the morgue (metal recycle place).

First Traeger was a Costco impulse buy. Used it a lot but only good for smoking (not hot enough). Ended up buying a bigger hotter Traeger again at Costco... and yeah another impulse buy. The salesman convinced me I could easily sell my well used Traeger at 60% of cost of new on Craigslist and he was right. Sold immediately. My Traeger. upgrade will heat up to 450deg but not quite enough for a good sear on a prime steak.

But that was okay because I had my fall back Vermont Casting. That thing would easily cook over 700deg if I wanted. After lots of researching and YouTube vids, decided to get the PK360 grill from PKGrills.com. Arkansas company that's been around since the early 50's I think.

Cast hand poured aluminum shell. Warranted for 20 years! I think this will be the last BBQ I will buy and I think it is the best combination smoker/griller I've ever used or seen. And it's portable!

I will still use my Traeger for unattended smoking but it is sure great to get back to old school bbq'ing for the best in flavor.

I did a search on PK grills here on TBN and came up with nothing so just wondering if anyone else has one and their thoughts. My first two weeks has been quite a honeymoon. :licking:

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #2  
I just stumbled on the country cooking forum and this has opened up a whole new area of TBN I now have monitor! :laughing:

Been BBQing forever I am sure like many of you. In short my BBQ journey goes something like this... I have had the classic Weber chargrill, got lazy and went through a few cheapo gas grills (never again), a little Hibachi style, and mini Weber (still have) mainly for camping or other portable ventures. And now I'm on my second Traeger as well as an awesome Vermont Casting Signature Series that I had for a long time but just put out to pasture due to no internal parts available. Oh well. It's actually sitting in my driveway waiting for its trip to the morgue (metal recycle place).

First Traeger was a Costco impulse buy. Used it a lot but only good for smoking (not hot enough). Ended up buying a bigger hotter Traeger again at Costco... and yeah another impulse buy. The salesman convinced me I could easily sell my well used Traeger at 60% of cost of new on Craigslist and he was right. Sold immediately. My Traeger. upgrade will heat up to 450deg but not quite enough for a good sear on a prime steak.

But that was okay because I had my fall back Vermont Casting. That thing would easily cook over 700deg if I wanted. After lots of researching and YouTube vids, decided to get the PK360 grill from PKGrills.com. Arkansas company that's been around since the early 50's I think.

Cast hand poured aluminum shell. Warranted for 20 years! I think this will be the last BBQ I will buy and I think it is the best combination smoker/griller I've ever used or seen. And it's portable!

I will still use my Traeger for unattended smoking but it is sure great to get back to old school bbq'ing for the best in flavor.

I did a search on PK grills here on TBN and came up with nothing so just wondering if anyone else has one and their thoughts. My first two weeks has been quite a honeymoon. :licking:

Are we talking primarily grilling as opposed to long smoking times for say a brisket or ribs?

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it.
So far I have used the PK for grilling and that will be primarily the use. Done some shorter smokes. Vegetables and seafood. Long smokes will happen but I'm going to do ribs and compare to the Traeger. It's more work to maintain the temp so it will have to be much better tasting for the PK to get the nod on a long smoke.

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #4  
I've never seen one of those. I'm sort of stuck on the large Weber kettle now. At one time I only used it for occasional grilling but once I got comfortable with the many charcoal arrangements and venting techniques I haven't been looking for a better option. I use it for direct, indirect, short or all day smoking. I'm sure that would be the same with any of them, as the more you use them the better you get at using them. How do you like that PK compared to a weber kettle?

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #5  
I’ve got to say that I really like the quality and features of the PK from looking at it.

Made me want one, but I’ve got a 36” Lynx Commercial series grill and a BBQ Guru Shotgun smoker already. It’s tough to beat the convenience of the gas grill, and the smoker takes care of long cooks, it will run almost 24 hours on one load of lump at 250 degrees. It does well on short runs or small loads as well, but I’ve done 3 full packer briskets in it at once.

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #6  
Interesting that they use aluminium for the cookbox. I just bought an MHP propane grill that is also aluminium. Lifetime warranty on it. That PK looks like a nice charcoal grill. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #7  
So far I have used the PK for grilling and that will be primarily the use. Done some shorter smokes. Vegetables and seafood. Long smokes will happen but I'm going to do ribs and compare to the Traeger. It's more work to maintain the temp so it will have to be much better tasting for the PK to get the nod on a long smoke.

Nice dragon! How are the steaks from it?

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #8  
Good purchase dragon eggs.I like you started with a weber kettle grill (charcoal).Purchased a big green grill about 15 years ago and burn lump charcoal it,s built like a tank.This year we purchased a Yoder ys480 with competition cart wood pellet smoker for brisket, turkeys and such.Love it so far.

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it.
Nice dragon! How are the steaks from it?

First try tenderloins turned out great... so nice to be back to charcoal (lump in this case). Using Royal Oak Lump from HD.

first fillets.jpg

I bought the optional grill grates. They do a great job searing and keeping any flame ups from happening.

PK open.jpg

I also like the side tables with hanging rods.

pk closed.jpg

You can see my mini Weber that I use to place my chimney when lighting and storing. I have found that it is great place to use the chimney so I don't get ash on the cooking surface and any hot coals are captured vs. falling on the grill or wood deck!

/ PKGrill new to me! Lovin' it. #10  
Oh boy . . . might have to try one of these! :licking: