plain water in tires.

/ plain water in tires. #21  
When burying a propane tank ya gotta attach a magnesium or zinc anode to it to prevent it from rusting.
Steel hulled boats get anodes bolted to 'em to prevent rust.

Now I've never inspected a buried tank or the steel hull of a boat, so I'm spitballing here.

But what about attaching an anode to the lug bolts of the tractor tire? Skip the Beet juice or other expensive stuff and use plain water?
Raul-02,

The anode needs to be inside the tractor tire so when galvanic corrosion ( corrosion due to dissimilar metals in the presence of a medium capable of supporting electron transfer, which can also include some gases ) occurs the zinc becomes the sacrificial metal. Have a look at the galvanic series.
Notice zinc is second from top. Zinc will give up electrons to everything but magnesium.

1659555531437.png

/ plain water in tires. #22  
My dad ran plain water in his backhoe for 35+ years and never had an issue with rusting.
Having his kid get water squirted in the face when playing around trying to let air out is another story.

/ plain water in tires.
The anode needs to be inside the tractor tire
All the propane tank installations I know about including pipelines all have the anode some distance away from the metal they are protecting but connected intimately VIA a copper wire.
I've read this makes it possible to inspect it and renew it if needed. I am guessing the necessary electrolyte is the moisture in the soil.

/ plain water in tires.
My dad ran plain water in his backhoe for 35+ years and never had an issue with rusting.
I have forced hot water heat. The furnace is cast iron. The HVAC guys I've spoken to tell me that in some reasonable short period of time the water becomes neutralized and no longer corrodes the metal. Maybe that same phenomenon was at play in those tires?

/ plain water in tires. #25  
Yes. Once the water in the tires gives up as much dissolved oxygen as it can, it can’t give any more. It’s done.

/ plain water in tires. #26  
Yah but wouldn't tractor tires need contain a lot of the stuff to make the water non rusting? .
Where does the water cause a problem if in a tube. I run all tubes.

/ plain water in tires. #28  
So it might work because there is an electrolyte in the tires The problem with all those Dry Air anode efforts (Like on vehicle bodies and frames) is the absence of an electrolyte.
Maybe where you are, but up here in the Frozen North such things are actively sold for use on cars. The electrolyte comes from the salt that is put on the roads.

/ plain water in tires. #30  
My tractor is parked in a heated garage. I use it to plow a 1/4 mile driveway in the winter. My rear turf tires are full of water and I haven’t had a problem with freezing as long as i don’t leave it parked outside.