Plasma cutter recommendations

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #61  
Most of the Hypertherm machines going forward will come with an encapsulated 1 piece front end consumable. No more stack of parts to keep track of. Interesting idea that includes a chip to track wear and cuts. I've looked at these new parts but have no idea how it impacts the cost to use. Definitely a bold move.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #62  
Most of the Hypertherm machines going forward will come with an encapsulated 1 piece front end consumable. No more stack of parts to keep track of. Interesting idea that includes a chip to track wear and cuts. I've looked at these new parts but have no idea how it impacts the cost to use. Definitely a bold move.
Yeah and I bet that 1 piece will be more than the stack of parts, some of which will likely have been reusable on their older torch.
Maybe.

Makes sense from a convenience standpoint.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #63  
kind of surprised the infamous Mr. Colt did not help.
I'm going to guess that neither Jim the expert nor Samuel Colt the equalizer actually made an appearance.
I think I'd have gone with Sam; so much more intimidating than some technical expert.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #64  
I'm going to guess that neither Jim the expert nor Samuel Colt the equalizer actually made an appearance.
I think I'd have gone with Sam; so much more intimidating than some technical expert.
I'd vote for Sam. He blessed me with a couple of his Snake named masterpieces.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #65  
Hypertherm AIR30 here ( the one with the built in compressor).

I like it and guess you’d call me a serious hobbyist.

Just wanted to jump in and let the people reading the thread know that I’ve recently seen advertising that Hypertherm has done some kind of technology upgrades on their latest versions than before.

I know nothing more about the supposed upgrades.
I just bought the same one. I suck at cutting right now, but hopefully I get things figured out a little better.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #66  
I just bought the same one. I suck at cutting right now, but hopefully I get things figured out a little better.
I'm no pro but I found 1) tilting my head as needed to watch the backside flame and adjust speed... 2) work on hand positioning... and dry run it a couple of times to get the 'muscle memory' if you will... 3) find a scrap or waste area to melt for a few practice inches to warm up before the game. :D

As I said, I'm no pro... probably a notch above novice, but that's my three cents (adjusted for inflation).

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #67  
Unless it's a whack off, I always use a guide (template to make a cut) unless it's the CNC plasma table. Then the program controls the cut.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #68  
Unless it's a whack off, I always use a guide (template to make a cut) unless it's the CNC plasma table. Then the program controls the cut.
Yes guides and templates are your friend. I CA glued a few stainless magnets to one of my large metal framing squares. It makes a nice guide for straight and right angle cuts. The magnets lift the square off the surface and better supports the shield for drag cuts.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #69  
Hypertherm sounds like fun!
I have a specific task coming up and I'm not going to be a pro.
Maybe a pro-slacker.(y)

I've wanted one for ten years.....that was my first mistake, not getting one.
And with all the steel stuff I've made over the years.
Last week was the last straw, was cutting shapes with a jig-saw even..... in y2022.... for shame.

I ordered a Lotos 50A for $399, should arrive Wednesday.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #70  
Hypertherm sounds like fun!
I have a specific task coming up and I'm not going to be a pro.
Maybe a pro-slacker.(y)

I've wanted one for ten years.....that was my first mistake, not getting one.
And with all the steel stuff I've made over the years.
Last week was the last straw, was cutting shapes with a jig-saw even..... in y2022.... for shame.

I ordered a Lotos 50A for $399, should arrive Wednesday.
Congrats... plasma cutting is so much more enjoyable.