Plasma cutter recommendations

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #1  

kathy50

3628 Prudence Street Southfield, MI 48075
Tractor
Allis-Chalmers 440
I'm learning to weld and I'm doing better than I expected. I have a Lincoln 140C mig and I stick to small/fun projects. I think that makes this a hobby.......I'm about to take on building a smaller (6'x10') dump trailer so I can take care of my honeydoos more efficently. I want to purchase a hobby sized plasma cutter. I like good equipment and I take care of it.....so I am sure I'm staying away from HF tools.......unless someone changes my mind with cost vs performance discussions. I currently do not have 220 power. So that may limit my options but I can get 220 if its really worth the expense.

I hope I can tell my wife I need this cutter to help with her work!......

It's here my interested: LOTOS LT5000D

If you're a Lotos owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Lotos durability and how they compare to other Plasma cutters you've tried.

Any suggestions and or comments are appreciated!

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #2  
User reviews on amazon seem to be five star or one...not looking good. Why not just cut with Oxy until you've got the scratch for a quality plasma cutter?

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #3  
I used a borrowed Hobart PC for a while and it spoiled me. When its owner moved away and I couldn't use it anymore, I bought an Eastwood Versa Cut 40. It's a bit different in operation than the Hobart, with a bit more "shriek" when it cuts, but it cuts really well! I've owned it for at least 6 years, and I use it quite a bit. I'm sure it's made in China, but Eastwood stands behind their products and continues to offer support even after the warranty expires.

The Versa Cut 40 is a good size, as it'll run on 110v and cut up to ~3/16" steel, and on 220V is rated to 3/8" but I've cut 1/2" several times, and actually got it to sever 3/4" plate on my pallet fork attachment... At low voltages, you can drag the tip right across the work, but at higher levels, it's best to use a standoff.

The consumables are available through Eastwood, and off Ebay, but not at any local places. Be aware that plasma cutters use consumables... Order extras when you order the unit. The only thing I can think of to complain about is the lack of an interlock that would keep it from sending power to the tip if the air isn't hooked up... I've done that several times now, and it sometimes toasts one of the shield pieces inside the tip... Even so, I've only had to replace that piece once...

As for that Lotos unit, I know it's fairly popular. I see the 50 amp unit is $279 on fleabay... I'd probably go that route if I needed a new one at this point. Aside from having a different torch and box, it is probably the same unit inside as my Eastwood...

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #4  
I have the Lotos 3 in 1 LTPDC2000D Pilot arc plasma /arc/tig

and other than having to clean the plasma torches switch it has been great. AS was posted 'lots of either 5 star or 1 ratings on amazon.

If you get a good one, everything is great , a bad 1 and then the headache begins, because after the 1st 30 days you pay shipping back and hopefully any problems are solved.

My Lotos has more than paid for itself- so it owes me nothing.

It has about 3 years of use so far hopefully many more to come.

My suggestion if you do buy the Lotos, is to immediately put it to work and work it hard , if it lasts thru the first few weeks you should be set.

Some have bought through Lowes or Home depot and iirc there is a way to extend the warranty , if it breaks after a few months much better off than buying mail order.

ps. imo the Pilot arc is worth the extra cost and helps get more use out of the consumables before they are toast also the pilot arc consumables are very inexpensive for the sg-55 torch

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #5  
used a friend's plasma cutter..not sure the brand or model.

One thing to watch for is these things can pull the amps - so much so that when he first started using it he melted the service coming into his house and the elec utility came by to see what was pulling all the power...and shut him down (turned off his power at the pole) tillhe got things upgraded and inspected.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #6  
used a friend's plasma cutter..not sure the brand or model.

One thing to watch for is these things can pull the amps - so much so that when he first started using it he melted the service coming into his house and the elec utility came by to see what was pulling all the power...and shut him down (turned off his power at the pole) tillhe got things upgraded and inspected.

If that is the case, then the local circuit breaker to which he was wired was improperly sized, and the main breaker was improperly sized.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #7  
Wow, some serious current draw. I have a Miller 375 Xtreme, specs show only 13.6 amps at full output. Bought into the inverter tech as I had limited power in my garage. Have a Dynasty 200 DX as my main welder, again for the low current draw and many features.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #8  
Inverters "pull" very little Amps. had to be a different issue or an old Transformer unit.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #9  
I've been very happy with Hypertherm, the Powermax 30xp will run on 120 or 240. Not the cheapest option out there but you will have a quality product that will last you a long time and, based on their history, will have excellent support.

Kinda the boy once cry once deals. I honestly use my plasma more then the welders.
I've had a Powermax 45 for 6 years and hope to add a PM85 in the next couple years.

/ Plasma cutter recommendations #10  
I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 45XP. Absolutely love this thing. I grab scrap steel out of the recycle dumpster just so I can cut it up for misc use and practice welding. Way more quality than I really need for hobby work but I wanted to by one and be done.

I highly recommend 220v power. I admit I still have not rewired my shop and I am running off a heavy extension cord from a dryer outlet that powers my welder, plasma cutter, and 60gal air compressor... none at the same time which is limiting, especially the plasma cutter because you need air so my cut times are limited before recharging the compressor.

Good luck on your search. Again, I wouldn't settle for 110v only you will likely be disappointed long term.