Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I'm learning about plasma cutters. Cutting flat stock is common, but how do they perform on square tubing or angle iron? Other than flat, are plasmas useful for other metal cutting purposes in fabrication?

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #2  
I'm learning about plasma cutters. Cutting flat stock is common, but how do they perform on square tubing or angle iron? Other than flat, are plasmas useful for other metal cutting purposes in fabrication?

Off the Top of my head can think of a couple times my plasma was really handy for odd ball / difficult job.

trying to remove some U joints on a Jeep that must have been in a really corrosive environment. Was able to cut the center crosses out. Then finally press the caps inward and out. not sure if I could have saved the drive lines otherwise.

Also on some projects where bolts were rusted and the nuts had corroded to where standard wrenches no longer fit it made very quick work of cutting them off, same for large rivets

Since i don't have a mag drill so the plasma was very handy cutting mount holes using a metal pattern for my fifth wheel utility trailers ratchet strap mounts.

Speaking of non flat stock, With a straight edge I split square tube to make the sides for my press.

Sometimes a repair project hits a wall and then it hits you ... I could use my plasma cutter for this!:thumbsup:

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #3  
Off the Top of my head can think of a couple times my plasma was really handy for odd ball / difficult job.

trying to remove some U joints on a Jeep that must have been in a really corrosive environment. Was able to cut the center crosses out. Then finally press the caps inward and out. not sure if I could have saved the drive lines otherwise.
:

I cut the U-Joints on an auger PTO shaft, worked well. I've seen them used to cope round tubes for roll bars, etc.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #4  
Haven't tried using my PC on square tubing. Did do a little rough cutting on some angle and it worked okay. Only did it because I didn't want to remove my port-a-band saw from it's table. Another handy PC use can be gouging out old welds!

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #5  
They work very well on oddball stuff. Cutting a straight line requires some sort of straight edge though.
Angle iron is a little tricky since the corner bit is 2-3 times as thick as the rest. Have to set the machine to cut the thickest part, then it goes right though.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron
Thanks. I tinker with fabrication, and am a tool junkie, and been coveting a plasma. But when I started thinking, I realized I mostly use angle iron and square tube, and I realized a plasma may not really be that useful for that. I have a band saw, and a hand held dry saw that cuts plate well. So I'm trying to figure out what I would us a plasma for.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #7  
I have had a Miller 625 for about 15 years and my O/A torch has cobwebs on it!!
The important thing is to have one bigger than you think you will need.
My favorite cut is 3/8" - 1/2" bolts/nuts covered with mortar.
If you cut with O/A the mortar spits and pops, with plasma it's so hot it melts the mortar.
I have always done a lot of "carving" to fit with a torch and it is as easy and faster with a plasma.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #8  
With a little practice, a plasma does a nice job gouging out welds without cutting the parent material.
It’s very handy when trying to fix old farm equipment that someone has covered in bird dropping looking welds.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #9  
I'll add another vote to plasma gouging welds. I use plasma for this when doing repairs as it's much faster than grinding.

Also, for removing large rusty sections on equipment it's very fast. I did a hopper where I removed 6 foot sections.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #10  
I"ve cut lots and lots of square tubing with a plasma cutter. Use a speed square as a guide. Make sure you cut precisely the same way all the way around or you will end up with a side that is out of line with the rest.