Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron
But I’m wondering if a chop saw like the Steel Max may be better and more precise. But I’m a woodworker at heart so my mind is influenced by that.
Plus I have a Steel Max hand held saw that cuts plate pretty well (of course as long as it’s a straight cut). Just trying to decide if I would use a plasma. I know you guys sell a very respected one. And way cheaper than a $2000 Hypertherm. But my shop situation is weird. Getting an ideal compressor, especially a 220V one, is impossible.

My compressor is a 110V, rated at 5 SCFM at 90 psi, with a 15 g tank. Is that big enough to run your plasmas? And I have no drying system that I know is critical in the humid South.

I have also heard about using a shop made guide to cut common sizes of square tubing instead of a speed square, with a plasma. Jim Colt mentioned that I think, but I’ve never seen any. All I see online showing Plasma cutting always shows flat stock. That’s why I wondered if cutting tubing or angle with a plasma (with accuracy) is not done commonly.

Keep in mind I’m a great dentist, pretty skilled wood worker, but a hack metalworker/welder. But I want to improve and learn.

I’m just toying with the idea of what tools would benefit me.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #12  
It's much like using an ao cutting torch but with less heat and fire and if you learn to cut freehand you can be pretty productive, just takes practice.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #13  
In my opinion, it's not chop saw or plasma.

It's chop saw first, then plasma after - if you find you need one.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #14  
I just use the plasma since I am not that good with a torch. Plus there is less heat and expense. Almost all my plasma work is on flat material. It's great for wrecking something. You can hardly have more fun!

Truth is, I hardly use my Plasma. I would not go out and buy one. I got my Hypertherm in a deal of sorts.

BTW, everytime you ignite the plasma you take life from the electrode. So stopping and starting to cut tube isn't the greatest use of your consumables.

Post Below. Plasma is great for expanded mesh. Mine does not have that switch/feature.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #15  
You can cut anything that conducts electricity. Screen is what is a pain to cut. Plasma really shines for SS and copper alloys. I like bandsaw or cold saws if it is new material. I use oxyfuel a lot because it will handle any thickness and is cheap. Sawsall gets a lot of use too.

Many ways to cut stuff. Some are more fun.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #16  
I use a band saw for 90 degree cuts.
A cold saw for angle cuts.
Do not have a oxyfuel. Cost is to high.
A sawsall is for mistakes after it is welded together.
While 95% of my plasma cutting is done on a CNC, I will cut over 1 mil inches this year with one.
I have a jig for my table, that I can cut designs on the flats of angle or tubing.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron
Very interesting guys. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I have a band saw that is my “go to” for most cuts. And I have a good hand held cold saw. I could see how a nice chop saw would be very useful. The plasma sure looks like it would be great for many things, but probably not many things in my list of projects that I want to build. But still toying with the idea of getting one. Keep sharing the info! Thanks.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #18  
It's also about how accurate you are. I have never cut anything straight in my life. Maybe my handwriting tells the story. I'm guessing I was a lefty and the stupid teachers and system insisted I write with the right hand. I never made that possible connection with my cuts until now.

Anyway, an artist can do wonderful things freehand with a plasma. I can't. Sometimes the stiff hose will mess you up too.

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #19  
Here how I have my saw setup for angle cuts.
It is on a swivel and I can also change the height.
100_5121.JPG100_5119.JPG100_5120.JPG

/ Plasma cutting square tubing or angle iron #20  
I don't have a bandsaw or a plasma cutter, only a chop saw, cutoff wheels for my 4.5" grinders and of course my OA torch. I have a Sawsall but never use it for cutting steel in the shop. If properly trained in using a OA torch, there isn't much one cant do with them. Cutting expanded metal, aluminum and SS is great use for a plasma torch IF you cut a lot of it but not so much as to make me buy one.
I don't understand why folks say OA is expensive. The gas lasts me for months and even years with my occasional use and it requires no other consumables like a plasma cutter AND I can braze, heat and weld with my OA torch.