Plastic 55 gal drums

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Plastic 55 gal drums #11  
BlacknTan said:
Does anyone know of a good outlet for plastic 55 gallon drums???

Free or low cost preferable.

Afternoon BlacknTan,
Just north of me in Middletown Springs is a dairy chemical supplier that sells them. I have used them for a number of things, like holding sand along the sides of the driveway. I cut out a half moon on one end and fill them with sand on the steep sections of the drive. I have mounted them in a cradle stand to get them up off the ground. Seems to work out well !

Attachments

• 55 gal drum.jpg
    55 gal drum.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 969
   / Plastic 55 gal drums #12  
I bought mine at Rural King........$10 each

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #13  
Just about anyone in the food industry will have plastic drums or know someone who does.

We get cleaners and sanitizers in them. Some of the drums are re-usable and have a deposit on them, but many are "disposable".

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #14  
InlineDieselFan said:
I got some from the local Coca Cola bottling place.

steve

funny, i've got them from the Pepsi bottling plant in grays harbor county, somewhere between elma and mcleary, i believe

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #15  
Blackntan,

Don't know where you are on the other side of Champlain but I got some in Burlington through the Vermont Business Materials Exchange. Sort of a neat organization trying to hook up people with materials that they don't need with people who do need them. Sometimes free, or at least low cost
Vermont Business Materials Exchange >>> VBMX Home

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #16  
As has been said, car washes and the food industry plants are the best places to find 55 gallon drums. I can get plastic drums with lids or solid drums with plugs. I can also get bigger caged tanks that hold around 275-300 gallons. These tanks need to be cleaned but are cheap and have a valve and fill port already. I get all my tanks from the local food processing plants.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #17  
I work in a powerhouse for the Bureau of Prisons. We have alot of these things because we get our boiler chemicals in them and just chuck them when we are done. You might want to head to the local college or hospital ( anyplace that has its on powerplant ) they most likely throw theirs away also.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #18  
I got 5 at the car wash a couple of months ago, 3 with bungs & 2 with the lids already sawn off. I needed them so I could collect RimGuard and fill my tires.

So, now they're hanging around and I was wondering; How much concrete could I get in one ?
OK, 55 gallons, but what is that in cubic feet and in pounds ?
Obviously I'm thinking of running a length of pipe through one and welding 3pt pins on it, then an eye on the top.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #19  
Reg said:
So, now they're hanging around and I was wondering; How much concrete could I get in one ?
OK, 55 gallons, but what is that in cubic feet and in pounds ?
Obviously I'm thinking of running a length of pipe through one and welding 3pt pins on it, then an eye on the top.

55 gallons = 7 1/3 cubic feet which is about 1/4 of a cubic yard.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #20  
Reg- If you do go ahead with your ballast drum stick a 2"receiver tube out the back while you are at it. There are few things handier. You can build a small work table/platform for it, mount a vise for sharpening chores, mount a shackle for tugging or even use it to pull a trailer....

Status
Not open for further replies.