Plastic 55 gal drums

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Plastic 55 gal drums #31  
wow, they are selling them for 10 bucks each up here. They had motor oil in them, but are fairly clean. I got one the other day, almost looking brand new. Maybe we need to get into a joint venture.

People use them up here for gas, kero, diesel, and burn barrels primarily. At the local oil co, if you get 40 gal or more of off road diesel they knock 10 cent off a gal.

I do appreciate the info. The rednecks up here don't throw anything away. If you put it out for trash, the scrap guys will drive up and take it. Heck, they saw me pulling out an old oil tank, pulled right into the drive and asked if I needed a hand (for the tank). I think those guys spent 45 minutes helping me get that out.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #32  
A customer of mine has 40 to 50 of them at his shop. Everyone that knows him has 55 gallon drums coming out of their ears, they don't need anymore. :) If you want to get a load of them some time just let me know.

It's kind of like the plastic 16 gallon barrels with a handle on the top I get for free. The farmers can't give them away as fast as they get them. Most have dairy wash or fertalizer residue in them. They make nice portable waste oil barrels. Stop by most any dairy farm, they would probably pay you to take the darn things. ;)

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #33  
I'll have to PM you when I get some free time to run down that way. You know you could put them on ebay? People are selling them for ridiculus prices on there, well, at least listing them on there for ridiculus prices.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #34  
PA hayseed, on the plastic drums, look for the HDPE symbol. That is high density polyethylene. It's the same stuff the blitz gas/fuel/water cans are made of. I am using two plastic drums, one green, one white. One had Roundup, the other had Bucaneer. Washed and rinsed them out good and let them dry. Have been using them for diesel a couple years. Stored in the barn.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #36  
SOME of the food grade ones are NOT re-usable and therefore have to be disposed of after a single use. We used to be able to get VeryFine apple Juice drums locally, but Kraft Foods bought them out and they're now under big corporation rules. The last ones I got were from the car wash, I only needed 2 to get 100 gallons of RimGuard home, but they were so pleased to see someone willing to take them that I decided to really please them and take all 3 - plus 2 that had the ends cut off for use as trash barrels.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #38  
TheKid said:
You can also check with car washes. They get their suplies in plastic drums.
Car washes here send the drums back to be refilled and re used.
Can't blame them considering the outlandish prices on new drums.
Current oil prices are causing a used plastic drum shortage amd driving up prices on used drums when and if available.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #40  
PA hayseed said:
kinda lost with this, as I have found plenty of drums to buy. If this won't work I have to get another oil tank at my house for the oil co to deliver.
I have a 30 and a 55 gallon drum that works fine for diesel.
Having the fuel guy fill a drum when he fills the oil tank should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.