Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ?

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
I am planning on buying one and would like any comments or recommendations about the various brands. I am leaning toward DeWalt simply because I have had good service out of those that I have.

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Vernon

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #2  
I teach high school wood shop and our Dewalt has served us well.

However, I rarely use a biscuit joiner. Good ole' yellow glue, clamped right, is stronger than the wood fibers around it. And, with pocket hole jigs coming on to the scene........if you haven't tried one, they are REALLY slick.

What are you going to be doing with the plate joiner? Not trying to deter you if you have your mind made up, but I hate to see money spent on something that could be spent on something else.

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #3  
I agree, with Flatheadyoungin. I don't need no stink'in biscuit joiner. I only used them on face frames, now I use a Kreg jig. and screws, its much faster. No glue needed, no possibility of glue residue resisting stain, and stronger than the devil.

Caution: B&D, Dewalt discontinues ALL repair parts for their tools once a particular series is 10 years out of production. I have several of their tools I can not get even basic parts for. :mad:

On the other hand, I have 40+ year old Milwaukee tools that I can get parts for no problem.

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #4  
texbaylea said:
I am planning on buying one and would like any comments or recommendations about the various brands. I am leaning toward DeWalt simply because I have had good service out of those that I have.

Vernon
I have the dewalt biscuit jointer, it came in a combo packwith a orbital sander. I got it on sale and then it was put on aclearance table with a 30% off the lowest price so I got a good deal. I like it pretty well. If I had to have paid full price I would have looked at the milwaukee because I like their toolsthe best. I think dewalt has started importing some of their tools now so I don't know about their quality. I have had a dewalt router for a long time with no problems I got a dewalt 18 volt drill [I beleive that is its size] anyway I was using it about a month ago crowding it a little and it got hot and you could smell it as if it was starting to smoke. For the price that I paid for the drill I expected it to be more rugged than that, I would have to look but I beleive it was imported from maybe mexico and I was disapointed in it. I thought all of Dewalts were made in USA but not any more. I guess I would buy Dewalt tools again but I would pay more attention to it before buying.

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #5  
texbaylea said:

Vernon

I have a Bosch that works well but I've only used it one time in 15 years. Biscuit joiners do not always line everything up perfectly (flush). Glue is best with using a shaper or router glue joint bits even better (more glue surface). For face frames and and other applications where the back side is unseen, nothing beats pocket holes.
The Kreg kit is the best tool I have gotten in years.

Paul

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #6  
I have a Dewalt biscuit joiner. No complaints and have had it for about 10 years. I am unsure if any changes have been made during that time. Don't do as much wood working as I use to. They are best when used to align multilple boards to make a wider board/surface. Tests have shown that they do make a very strong joint and add strength to a joint. The surface will still require mild sanding. They are relatively easy to use and quick. It is far superior to the old dowel method.

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #7  
I have a Porter Cable Plate Joiner. Works great. But don't use it much.

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #8  
I've got a DeWalt as well--used to make the extra wide soffit boards on the barn (joining 2 10" wide boards together as mentioned above), picture frame mitered corners, adding material to door bottoms (trimmed when they put carpets in a 100 years ago in our house) etc. I like the ease of use--very easy to adjust for different thickness of material, flush joints, corner joints etc. I have found it to be very accurate in getting the flush joints smooth.

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #9  
I've got the porter cable 557 as well - I had looked at the DeWalt as well, but price and features let the PC win. A few months later one of the woodworking mags was rating and it came down to those 2 with the PC getting the edge because it's fence is easier to adjust and use in a variety of positions.
I don't use it lots, but when I do it's been very handy -- especially when I'm doing something you need to be able to see both sides and so can't use pocket screws.

also - keep in mind Lowe's & Home Despot do the price match + 10% off if you can find it cheaper locally -- I did that and saved an extra $20 off the sticker at the cheaper store. (orig $219 at Lowes but $194 at HD, so Lowes sold it to me for $174)

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ?
Erik_in_Hoyt said:
I've got the porter cable 557 as well - I had looked at the DeWalt as well, but price and features let the PC win. A few months later one of the woodworking mags was rating and it came down to those 2 with the PC getting the edge because it's fence is easier to adjust and use in a variety of positions.
I don't use it lots, but when I do it's been very handy -- especially when I'm doing something you need to be able to see both sides and so can't use pocket screws.

also - keep in mind Lowe's & Home Despot do the price match + 10% off if you can find it cheaper locally -- I did that and saved an extra $20 off the sticker at the cheaper store. (orig $219 at Lowes but $194 at HD, so Lowes sold it to me for $174)

My question has to do as much with the quality and usability of the fences as much as anything. I tried searching for a tool review but could not find one. Porter-Cable tools are also in my stable and liked.

I am installing the cabinetry in our kitchen and will be using wood countertops. The plate joiner will be used to keep the tops flush at the joins - the joints will be held together by other means. I may replace the tops in a few years with solid surface materials but that was too costly at this time.

I as in a Home Depot last night and could not find a plate joiner or a person to ask here they were. Right now I am limited on my walking range and Lowes did not have a working electric market cart so I could not shop there.

Vernon