Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ?

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #11  
I have had the DeWalt for 12 years now and it works really well. I would also like to get the Porter Cable, it does some smaller sizes(micro biscuits). If you can afford one go for the Lamello. Last time I looked at one they were over $600.

Solo

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #12  
Plate jointers are kept in the hand/power tool section - near the back wall.

#20 biscuits do a pretty good job of holding surfaces even, but you'd do just as well with a spline - or even clamp blocks top and bottom.
it you want to try for the spline, use your router to cut a stopped groove (1/8" wide by 3/8" deep) in the adjoining surfaces then use your table saw to cut the spline out of the edge of a 1x. (zero clearance insert on the table saw is your friend here)

of course, biscuits come in handy on other projects as well, so I'm not saying don't buy it, just if this is the only project planned for it, there are alternatives.

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ?
Erik_in_Hoyt said:
Plate jointers are kept in the hand/power tool section - near the back wall.

#20 biscuits do a pretty good job of holding surfaces even, but you'd do just as well with a spline - or even clamp blocks top and bottom.
it you want to try for the spline, use your router to cut a stopped groove (1/8" wide by 3/8" deep) in the adjoining surfaces then use your table saw to cut the spline out of the edge of a 1x. (zero clearance insert on the table saw is your friend here)

of course, biscuits come in handy on other projects as well, so I'm not saying don't buy it, just if this is the only project planned for it, there are alternatives.

Our HD is arranged differently, also when the day help left for the day they seemed just to leave what they were working on (boxes, steps, etc.) where it was. Made it hard for me to get down the aisles with the electric cart.

I have been wanting a plate joiner for other projects but this one has the interest of the Chancellor of the Exchequer. I will think about using a spline however.

Vernon

/ Plate joiners (biscuit cutters): comments, ? #14  
I've had similar experiences with our local HD as well - which is too bad, because the one 40 miles away has excellent service.
check their website to see if it's offered?