Plow now or wait?

/ Plow now or wait? #91  
8" ain't trivial if ya ain't used to it!!!
Problem is, you won't get this kind of snow frequent enough to really get used to it

I don't think I would consider that a "problem"

/ Plow now or wait? #92  
Yesterday late afternoon I was plowing snow with my shiny B2601 and saw an ancient tractor coming down our subdivision road at me. It was a JD that looked like 1930s vintage, with a thin old rear blade. Geezer at the wheel looked like he was out of the 1930s too. Am surely exaggerating on tractor but have just never seen a JD that old still operating. 2WD, huge rear wheels. He proceeded to blade snow off a neighbor's long drive I'd just plowed. The rig really worked. He did slide a bit going uphill but recovered.

I was using my blade for the second time, so cut myself some slack. But had to admit he may have had the superior rig for our 8" snowfall. His tractor wouldn't fit my main use, however—FEL work. So there was some comfort in that!
That's 30-40 years of experience using older equipment...

/ Plow now or wait? #93  
Those old popin Johns will run forever with just a bit of maintenance.
Just like the old H's and M's and they are faster :LOL:

1642529920451.png

This was a more common loader for an H or M we had one on a Farmall 400. I thought it was great back then
wished my father had gotten it years before he did.
1642530179352.png

/ Plow now or wait? #94  
I'd recommend some thing like this -- pointed edges
Thank you for the tip!

I just got mine in from Amazon yesterday. They are unbelievable. . .

We had rain last night followed by snow and plunging temps. My (steep) gravel driveway was a mess. I used the toothbar to scrap down as much as I could without ripping up the gravel. Loose gravel + rear snowblower = bad ending

So I was left with some really slick ice. Especially now that the sun is out and the top surface is wet. Walked up to the mailbox with these Yaktrax with 0 traction problem. It felt like there was no ice there.

/ Plow now or wait? #95  
Bob, what is the advantage of a pusher over a front blade?
I have asphalt. Before I got my tractor my neighbor plowed my drive with a Kubota M90 something ... he did it first year with a blade and last year with a pusher. He was in and out with the pusher so less time also the blade left marks on my asphalt where it dug in a few places.

The pusher has side rails that float right on the surface and that makes plowing a breeze just drop the bucket into float and go. With a bucket and heavy snow it would be a lot of back and forth. I try and do very little back and forth if I can help it.

The pusher can be used on gravel and dirt/grass without digging up the place.

/ Plow now or wait? #96  
Get a pair of these:
I've been using them for the last couple winters and they're considerable help
I have a pretty gimpy leg, so I need to be really careful when it's slick. With me, the trax aren't a cure-all, but they do lower the risk of falling

I just got back inside & took off my Yaktrax-equipped outdoor boots.

Everyone that I know uses Yaktrax. They are a necessary part of winter - especially when icy - or when snow covers ice. We need them to walk to the tractor....
If they work for you get a spare; they are often sold out on popular sizes.

Downside is they are hazardous and hard on polished floors. Home Depot can be scary in Yaktraks
rScotty

/ Plow now or wait? #97  
I just got back inside & took off my Yaktrax-equipped outdoor boots.

Everyone that I know uses Yaktrax. They are a necessary part of winter - especially when icy - or when snow covers ice. We need them to walk to the tractor....
If they work for you get a spare; they are often sold out on popular sizes.

Downside is they are hazardous and hard on polished floors. Home Depot can be scary in Yaktraks
rScotty
I always remove mine when:
a) getting into my vehicle (and tractor)
b) going into the house or any other building
When I'm inside my house, I have a hook to hang them...when going in to a store or other building, I just carry them
As you wrote, they're tough on floors
It takes, maybe, 5 seconds to put them on and take them off

/ Plow now or wait?
That's 30-40 years of experience using older equipment...
Later I talked to the woman he and I were digging out. She said he'd said, as she recalled, he'd said it was a 1950s tractor that had belonged to his father.

/ Plow now or wait? #99  
I'm from New Hampshire, and my experience says PLOW NOW!
Unless you've got a really big tractor, it's easier to do it twice than to wait and have to take all day out there.
If you do get ice, there's not much you can do but sand/salt.
(Or if you're in VA, maybe just wait a few days.)

/ Plow now or wait? #100  
There is 14-22 inches in the forecast in the next 24 hours. If that's anywhere near accurate, I will be plowing now AND plowing later.
As others have pointed out, waiting to clean up that much snow can be overwhelming for a small tractor like mine; plus I always like to be able to get out my driveway if an emergency arises.