Plow now or wait?

/ Plow now or wait? #81  
4”? I drive thru that with my awd cars and snow tires.
I have to revise this. AWD car went out the drive this morning in 6” of snow. Snow tires on all 4 make it a beast…. for a 4 door sedan.

/ Plow now or wait?
We ended up getting at least 6". Which means about 8" in my drives because there are enough trees along and around them that wind slows and snow drops.

Now, I know that 8" is trivial for many on here. But it was plenty for me to handle! And we're in hill country, so many driveways are sloped. Mine is plenty steep. While our AWD cars can handle it, UPS won't even try if there's any snow on it and shouldn't.

/ Plow now or wait? #83  
We ended up getting at least 6". Which means about 8" in my drives because there are enough trees along and around them that wind slows and snow drops.

Now, I know that 8" is trivial for many on here. But it was plenty for me to handle! And we're in hill country, so many driveways are sloped. Mine is plenty steep. While our AWD cars can handle it, UPS won't even try if there's any snow on it and shouldn't.
8" ain't trivial if ya ain't used to it!!!
Problem is, you won't get this kind of snow frequent enough to really get used to it

/ Plow now or wait? #84  

I don't even ask them to come down my road in winter. It's a through road in summer but only maintained to my house in winter, plus there's some pretty good hills which are only sanded well enough for the few residents to get in and out onto the main highway.

/ Plow now or wait? #85  
Just came in from plowing.
We got around a 12" snow.

/ Plow now or wait? #86  
A whooping 3" then rain to drop it down to 1" of icey crap.
Went out used the FEL blade to put down pressure on it and got quite a bit off.
Tomorrow I'll do the finish clean up and sand.

/ Plow now or wait? #87  
So plow as it's hitting, don't wait till it's all down?
Do keep in mind most areas on the east end of Lake Ontario can measure a good percentage of snowfall events in feet not inches. If a plow is the only option, they have to plow with the storm or risk being overwhelmed. On the flip side ice/freezing rain is rarely an issue. For your situation and conditions it sounds like you made the right choice.

/ Plow now or wait? #88  
That reminds me of the native people of the Arctic areas and how they have different names for different types of snow. Seems that is useful. Those of us who have lived many years up Nort' can testify that there is a big difference with how to deal with powder than with heavy wet snow. One of my least favorites were the blizzards where you get 2+ foot drifts and a hard crust formed, not from the ice, but from compaction.

/ Plow now or wait?
Yesterday late afternoon I was plowing snow with my shiny B2601 and saw an ancient tractor coming down our subdivision road at me. It was a JD that looked like 1930s vintage, with a thin old rear blade. Geezer at the wheel looked like he was out of the 1930s too. Am surely exaggerating on tractor but have just never seen a JD that old still operating. 2WD, huge rear wheels. He proceeded to blade snow off a neighbor's long drive I'd just plowed. The rig really worked. He did slide a bit going uphill but recovered.

I was using my blade for the second time, so cut myself some slack. But had to admit he may have had the superior rig for our 8" snowfall. His tractor wouldn't fit my main use, however—FEL work. So there was some comfort in that!

/ Plow now or wait? #90  
Yesterday late afternoon I was plowing snow with my shiny B2601 and saw an ancient tractor coming down our subdivision road at me. It was a JD that looked like 1930s vintage, with a thin old rear blade. Geezer at the wheel looked like he was out of the 1930s too. Am surely exaggerating on tractor but have just never seen a JD that old still operating. 2WD, huge rear wheels. He proceeded to blade snow off a neighbor's long drive I'd just plowed. The rig really worked. He did slide a bit going uphill but recovered.

I was using my blade for the second time, so cut myself some slack. But had to admit he may have had the superior rig for our 8" snowfall. His tractor wouldn't fit my main use, however—FEL work. So there was some comfort in that!
Probably a local farmer hanging on for dear life trying to make a few extra sheckles