Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame

/ Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #11  
Before I spent any time putting shoes on the SSQA or loader I’d make the chain longer.

But before I changed the chain I’d lower the shoes on the blade. One spacer lower raises the SSQA or loader several inches to make the same cut.

/ Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #12  
Has anyone had skids or casters mounted at the ends of the loader arms so they can float at a set height over the ground? It would seem that might make the plow function like a frame mount although further out front. You壇 need one more hydraulic circuit or use a plow with its own system.

Yes. The whole video is interesting, but at around 4:40 Paul goes into that. Mine is set up with chains, and because of the height of the frame on the Fisher bottom trip blade, the FEL arms can be carried higher and don't run aground. I prefer not to have the weight of the FEL arms constantly bearing down on the blade.

Viewer Question (Kubota Snow Plow) - YouTube

/ Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #13  
I'm wondering how others plow with the new SSQA? Loader arms or sub frame mounted plow?

I recently traded in my BX 23 with a sub frame mounted snow plow and bought a B2610 with the SSQA. The BX 23 was a plowing machine, easy to use - up,down, left and right and it worked perfect
I'm having problems getting used to the loader arm mounted plow. Its so picky on the height of the loader arms and angle of the curl. A little high on the loader arms and the blade digs in, a little low and the blade rides high. the curl cant be too far back either.
Its a great feature to be able to take the plow off and put the 72" bucket with the SSQA but its not easy to plow compared to the sub frame mounted plow.
I'm thinking of getting the sub frame and plow and returning the SSQA plow to the dealer, which he said he would gladly do.
With the sub frame plow I would have to take the loader arms off to attach the plow and put them back on when I needed a bucket.

Pictures below show the SSQA plow uses a chain for a float so it can follow the counter of the ground and that works well if the loader arms are adjusted just right.

gerford, where is the interference between the loader and the subframe?

/ Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #14  
I have a similar setup and will take a couple pictures of the simple home made indicators that might help. They're just two magnets with Tyrap "whiskers" for referencing the loader position.

Here is how my setup works. There are two ordinary magnets with holes in the center. A piece of a large Tyrap is held onto them with a screw from the underside. The magnets are placed on the loader arms to make the up/down and curl/dump positions easily repeatable.

One is located on the inside of the right arm so it is at the tip of the level indicator rod when the curl/dump is set. The other is placed on the inside of the left arm and references to the grille guard when the height is set.

The other picture shows what I was describing about the height of the lower ends of the FEL arms when the plow is set to the normal plowing position. There's close to a foot of clearance between them and the pavement. The blade has slack in the chains, and has a good range of movement to follow the contours encountered. It does well without applying the weight of the FEL arms. Probably because the blade was designed to work on a pickup truck without any down pressure. I have encountered a couple spots where traffic mashed the snow down and it was handy to be able to press down on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6599.JPG
    IMG_6599.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_6600.JPG
    IMG_6600.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_6601.JPG
    IMG_6601.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4819.JPG
    IMG_4819.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 271
   / Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #15  
I like your indicator idea chim - thanks !!

gg

/ Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #16  
The other picture shows what I was describing about the height of the lower ends of the FEL arms when the plow is set to the normal plowing position. There's close to a foot of clearance between them and the pavement. The blade has slack in the chains, and has a good range of movement to follow the contours encountered. It does well without applying the weight of the FEL arms. Probably because the blade was designed to work on a pickup truck without any down pressure. I have encountered a couple spots where traffic mashed the snow down and it was handy to be able to press down on it.

I like the way you positioned the plow on the SSQA plate. I'm sure having it set back must really reduce the side pressure on the FEL arms.
I still would prefer a subframe mount, but if I needed to use the FEL your system would be my top choice.

/ Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #17  
The inspiration was mostly from both Gordon's and Paul's mounting systems (links below). The setback is pretty much the minimum it takes for the blade to not contact the SSQA plate at full turn. Before using it I did have a concern that the 8' blade may act as a rudder if it weren't' cropped in close. The 4240 isn't a huge tractor but it hasn't been a problem. The indicator pics were taken today in the shed without the plow mounted, so they don't really show the view from the cab. You can see the idea behind it though. Here are the links:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/408923-setback-underslung-ssqa-snow-plow.html

Viewer Question (Kubota Snow Plow) - YouTube

/ Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #18  
I like the way you positioned the plow on the SSQA plate. I'm sure having it set back must really reduce the side pressure on the FEL arms.
If the plows A frame is run under the loader arms, the plow blade can be kept much closer to the arms.
I've been running this setup for years and it works fine. ( converted 9' Western truck plow)

Attachments

• HPIM1289.JPG
    HPIM1289.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 147
  • HPIM1420.JPG
    HPIM1420.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 168
  • HPIM1352.JPG
    HPIM1352.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 399
   / Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #19  
Better Pictures and Explanation

Today was a nice day to park the RFM for the season and swap the bucket for the plow. The pictures I posted earlier weren't the greatest, so I snapped some today. The first photo shows what it looks like from the cab. In real life, the Tyraps are more easily seen than in this shot - more like the larger pics below. They are a simple method of getting the blade set straight vertically and having slack in the lifting chains.

For just pushing straight, the axis of the pivot point of the blade can be somewhat off vertical without being much of a problem. It becomes more important as the blade is rotated to cast snow to the side. The farther off of vertical the pivot point is, the more one tip of the blade will make contact with the driveway while the other end wants to be off the ground when the blade is rotated.

Second is a blowup of the left side. When the Tyrap is even with the crosspiece of the grille guard, the FEL arms are the ideal height.

Third is the right side. When the rod of the FEL level indicator is at the Tyrap, the SSQA plate is at the proper angle.

Last is a side view of the plow adjusted correctly. The frame is parallel with the driveway. That makes the pivot point perpendicular with the driveway surface. Adjusted this way, the entire bottom edge of the blade contacts the driveway surface regardless of how the blade is rotated.

The clearance between the frame and driveway is a measured 8-1/2". That's not as much as I had thought, but plenty to keep it from dragging.

Attachments

• IMG_6624Small.JPG
    IMG_6624Small.JPG
    905.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6624L.JPG
    IMG_6624L.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6624R.JPG
    IMG_6624R.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6627Small.JPG
    IMG_6627Small.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 158
   / Plow on Loader arm versus Sub Frame #20  
The FEL mounted plow works best if you float the FEL and use small adjustments with curl to set the cut.

What? Unless you've made a custom hinge like Chim et el, then no, no, no. The plow has float built into it so the loader stays stationary otherwise you're dragging the loader on the ground.

Anyway to the OP, I use the SSQA straight plow on the loader.

NotforHire's remarks are spot on. With a straight plow mounted on the loader, it makes for a long leverage arm increasing "plowing drama" in the deep heavy stuff.

Here is an ever-growing library of snow blowing and snow plowing videos from my channel. All but the last two videos use an SSQA loader plow, whereas the last two videos are a 12' commercial frame-mounted plow. Some videos in the playlist have toe-tappers while other videos just feature the diesel growling against the environment. Here is the first video with toe-tappers from that playlist that shows snow blowing, plowing, and that "plowing drama" I mentioned from the plow being too far "out-there" in front of the weight of the tractor. The "plowing drama" starts around the 7:00 mark.

That all said, if you get a SSQA loader mounted V-plow, much of that "plowing drama" experienced by a straight plow is mitigated by equal forces on each side of the v-plow when making the first run down a driveway. In other words, if you have the funds to do it, my experience says get an SSQA V-plow!

Last edited: