Plow protection

varmint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I guess I have exhausted potential projects on our "new" tractor, now to just wait for some snow. I decided, as a final mod., to add a crossover relief valve to the plow's angling circuit. Easy, since the hoses were already two piece, and in the right lengths. If I ever use the plow, and do strike something, hopefully there won't be any damage.
P1010775.jpg

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Not to ruin your day varmint but... With double acting cylinders the cross over relief is of little protection when then load is trying to retract the cylinder. Reason for this is there is less volume in the rod end of the cylinder since the rod takes up volume.

OP
varmint

varmint

Veteran Member
Tractor
I see what you mean... darn. I guess I will try to plow so the cylinder will extend if I smack something. Seemed like a good idea, and hopefully I haven't made it worse! I have a lot to learn about hydraulics.

Coyote machine

Tractor
'10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canop
I have a HLA 2000 snowblade. I believe the black valve your hoses are connected into currently may be a crossover valve, but I'm not familiar with your model in particular. I suggest contacting HLA/Horst welding and verifying your particular blade options: HLA Snow

OP
varmint

varmint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Like Coyote suggested, I spoke with HLA, and they confirmed what oldnslo observed- won't hurt, but probably won't provide much cushioning, either. I had noticed that their single cylinder HLA 2000 plow with the single cylinder came with the crossover valve, and they thought it really served no purpose. Go figure. Looks like I have a nice valve, for a project that needs it.

LD1

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
That is why I dont like a DA cylinder on a plow. Two SA cylinders are much better. Can easily incorporate a crossover, and plow moves both directions with equal speed, and equal force.

Coyote machine

Tractor
'10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canop
Like Coyote suggested, I spoke with HLA, and they confirmed what oldnslo observed- won't hurt, but probably won't provide much cushioning, either. I had noticed that their single cylinder HLA 2000 plow with the single cylinder came with the crossover valve, and they thought it really served no purpose. Go figure. Looks like I have a nice valve, for a project that needs it.

Are you saying that HLA told you the crossover on my model snowblade 'serves no purpose'?
Why would they say that about a design that is their own?

OP
varmint

varmint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Well, that depends if you have the single, double acting cylinder, or the version with two cylinders. I see they offer both. With the single cylinder, it doesn't provide much protection. See LD1's post above. Just what they told me.

Coyote machine

Tractor
Well, that depends if you have the single, double acting cylinder, or the version with two cylinders. I see they offer both. With the single cylinder, it doesn't provide much protection. See LD1's post above. Just what they told me.

Got it. Just suprised that they would dis their own equipment design? I will follow-up with them about this. I read LD1's post already.

skyhook

Veteran Member
Tractor
1996 Kubota L4200 GSTC,(sold) 1994 JCB 210S 4x4x4
That is why I dont like a DA cylinder on a plow. Two SA cylinders are much better. Can easily incorporate a crossover, and plow moves both directions with equal speed, and equal force.

I'm also lost when it comes to hydraulics, a DA cylinder:confused: is that a cylinder with "two" hose inputs? And does a SA cylinder:confused: only have "one' hose input?:confused: