Plow protection

/ Plow protection #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I guess I have exhausted potential projects on our "new" tractor, now to just wait for some snow. I decided, as a final mod., to add a crossover relief valve to the plow's angling circuit. Easy, since the hoses were already two piece, and in the right lengths. If I ever use the plow, and do strike something, hopefully there won't be any damage.
P1010775.jpg

/ Plow protection #2  
Not to ruin your day varmint but... With double acting cylinders the cross over relief is of little protection when then load is trying to retract the cylinder. Reason for this is there is less volume in the rod end of the cylinder since the rod takes up volume.

/ Plow protection
I see what you mean... darn. I guess I will try to plow so the cylinder will extend if I smack something. Seemed like a good idea, and hopefully I haven't made it worse! I have a lot to learn about hydraulics.

/ Plow protection #4  
I have a HLA 2000 snowblade. I believe the black valve your hoses are connected into currently may be a crossover valve, but I'm not familiar with your model in particular. I suggest contacting HLA/Horst welding and verifying your particular blade options: HLA Snow

/ Plow protection
Like Coyote suggested, I spoke with HLA, and they confirmed what oldnslo observed- won't hurt, but probably won't provide much cushioning, either. I had noticed that their single cylinder HLA 2000 plow with the single cylinder came with the crossover valve, and they thought it really served no purpose. Go figure. Looks like I have a nice valve, for a project that needs it.

/ Plow protection #6  
That is why I dont like a DA cylinder on a plow. Two SA cylinders are much better. Can easily incorporate a crossover, and plow moves both directions with equal speed, and equal force.

/ Plow protection #7  
Like Coyote suggested, I spoke with HLA, and they confirmed what oldnslo observed- won't hurt, but probably won't provide much cushioning, either. I had noticed that their single cylinder HLA 2000 plow with the single cylinder came with the crossover valve, and they thought it really served no purpose. Go figure. Looks like I have a nice valve, for a project that needs it.

Are you saying that HLA told you the crossover on my model snowblade 'serves no purpose'?
Why would they say that about a design that is their own?

/ Plow protection
Well, that depends if you have the single, double acting cylinder, or the version with two cylinders. I see they offer both. With the single cylinder, it doesn't provide much protection. See LD1's post above. Just what they told me.

/ Plow protection #9  
Well, that depends if you have the single, double acting cylinder, or the version with two cylinders. I see they offer both. With the single cylinder, it doesn't provide much protection. See LD1's post above. Just what they told me.

Got it. Just suprised that they would dis their own equipment design? I will follow-up with them about this. I read LD1's post already.

/ Plow protection #10  
That is why I dont like a DA cylinder on a plow. Two SA cylinders are much better. Can easily incorporate a crossover, and plow moves both directions with equal speed, and equal force.

I'm also lost when it comes to hydraulics, a DA cylinder:confused: is that a cylinder with "two" hose inputs? And does a SA cylinder:confused: only have "one' hose input?:confused: