Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done?

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
We are going to building in the next year or so and out property is going to have ~1/2 mile driveway to the home. The elevation gain is minimal (~30 ft of variance across the entire length), and it is90% open field, with the last 10% leading to the house wooded. My dads property borders us, and he has a JD 990 and a plow truck. I have a Rubicon with a warn plow that I use at my current place (small driveway). We had talked about selling the rubicon and buying a UTV and plow setup so we have a more capable machine for the larger acreage (can take the family with me, use it for hunting, chores, etc.).

I know most would recommend a plow truck for this size driveway, but I知 wondering how a UTV might fare? We don’t get a lot of large snows in our area, but when we do, I can always fall back on my dads truck if need be (or his tractor with his FEL if I need to move piles). I just want something that can be both recreational as well as useful, and I don’t need to buy a cabbed tractor at the moment (as some might suggest) since I have access to tractor for tractor duties. I own a new Tundra, but don’t want to plow with it (too new, don’twant to prematurely wear things out, etc.).

Thoughts? If this is a yes, should I be looking at more work oriented brands such as the Gators, Bobcats, and RTVs? I really like the Honda Pioneer 700-4 for its versatility in seating/cargo room, but unsure of how it would handle the work I want to throw at it.

Btw, the property is 150 acres, so it will be used quite frequently for other duties.

Last edited:
   / Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #2  
IMO, for what you are going to spend on a UTV with a plow I'd look into buying a tractor with loader and a QA plow blade. You'll have more uses for a tractor on 150 acres.
I guess it depends how often and how much snow you get and since your Dad borders you and you can get his plow truck and tractor any time then a new UTV with plow may be OK.
Sorry, I'm not much help but I'd still vote for a tractor..

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #3  
You are moving to 150 acres, half mile driveway and building a house. You want a UTV for recreation - that's just fine. You will soon learn that to develop, improve and maintain the property and driveway - you a going to need a 50 to 75 hp - 4WD tractor with FEL & bucket and a heavy duty rear blade.

As far as being much help with the development, improvement and maintenance jobs - the UTV is going to be a lot like T*TS on bacon. Fun to play with but little help.

If you are serious about your new property - you definitely need a good tractor.

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #4  
There is a pretty good web-site devoted to the Honda UTV (hondasxs.com) and the topic of snow-plowing is there. I'm sure all the major brands have similar forums. Btw, "sxs" ("side by side") is the standard lingo for UTV's. I own the 700 2 seat model and apart from one issue (the maintenance schedule and the difficulty in performing such...that may not be unique to Honda) I'm sure the machine could handle it...it is a well-built beast.

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #5  
You are moving to 150 acres, half mile driveway and building a house. You want a UTV for recreation - that's just fine. You will soon learn that to develop, improve and maintain the property and driveway - you a going to need a 50 to 75 hp - 4WD tractor with FEL & bucket and a heavy duty rear blade.

As far as being much help with the development, improvement and maintenance jobs - the UTV is going to be a lot like T*TS on bacon. Fun to play with but little help.

If you are serious about your new property - you definitely need a good tractor.
I dunno...for years I did my 300' long driveway with a plow mounted to my CubCadet 1250...wasn't a quick thing but at the time it was all I could afford (and the cold didn't bother me).

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #6  
I plow a half mile logging road with my bulldozer with a 8 foot and 6 way blade, and I think it is slow and often say, "there has got to be a better way". In all honesty from someone who does it, I would think something warm and dry would be the answer.

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #7  
I plow a half mile logging road with my bulldozer with a 8 foot and 6 way blade, and I think it is slow and often say, "there has got to be a better way". In all honesty from someone who does it, I would think something warm and dry would be the answer.

Assuming gravel driveway?

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done?
A tractor will be in my future but not in the budget right now. I can get a plow/700-4 for around 12-13k (leftover model). Can't touch a cabbed tractor for anything close to that.

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #9  
a lot like T*TS on bacon. Fun to play with but little help.
Quite the analogy. :laughing: never gonna look at bacon the same way.

/ Plowing 1/2 mile driveway with a UTV. Should it be done? #10  
Buy an old plow truck. You can probably get one, ready to plow, for under $3000...