Plowing Mishap

/ Plowing Mishap #21  
Here is one I built that I have been using for almost 4 seasons and am very happy with. I used a concept shown by TractorNH and Chim also built one. Mine is perhaps opposite from yours - stronger than needed. 5/16" plate welded onto a sturdy frame.

View attachment 788890

gg
One of the better setups in my opinion, tucked in short and tight.
The ones coming straight out stick out so far that any dip or rise will move the plow a long ways up or down.

/ Plowing Mishap #22  
FWIW my SSQA a plate was to tight. Titan was very good to deal with. Without hesitation they offered to send a new plate or refund 1/2 my money if I kept what I had and fixed it myself. Which is what I did.

SSQA_Plate1.JPG

SSQA_Plate2.JPG

You need a very close fit with no gaps at the three arrows.

P1160941_1.jpg

My rework.

SSQA_Plate3.JPG

SSQA_Plate5.JPG

I also welded a couple of 3/8 pieces on the bottom ears so that the engagement length of the 2 angled cam pins would be deeper.

gg

Last edited:
   / Plowing Mishap
I like the pallet fork idea, I don’t have a set but I have been wanting to get some. Anything in particular to watch out for when buying pallet forks? I’ll do some research on here too. Thanks

/ Plowing Mishap #24  
Sounds like QA isn't latching into to plate properly. (maybe the snow blade QA plate needs modified to latch better)
The blade should never fall off or be able to be knocked off if its latching/mating properly.
...and you don't have a big enough tractor or power to wonk up a QA plate (unless it's substandard) anyway. IMO, wasn't latched properly.

/ Plowing Mishap #25  
I have both the ATI 2 pin QD and the Kubota 2 pin QD and I prefer the ATI over the Kubota. Much more stout and better cam action as well. Nice to be able to compare (2 identical tractors).

/ Plowing Mishap #26  
I noticed that your plow has a "trip edge" rather than the entire blade tripping. If you push hard enough against a big pile of snow something has to give.

Trip blades can be regulated to where they "unload" by spring adjustment. If you push too hard the blade flattens out and rides up over the snow.

/ Plowing Mishap
Yeah I had the plow a few feet off the ground when I was pushing the snow bank back which is why the quick attach plate gave out and bent instead of the trip edge on the plow. I bent the plate back today and here are some pictures of the fit on the tractor. I’m going to weld some channel or whatever scrap we have laying around onto it to brace it up and give it some more support. Long term I like the pallet fork idea but I think this should do for now.
B13981C9-5A78-4CCA-8489-8F01F1455F08.jpeg
8DF3019D-DAE5-4A2E-8295-6FCB6CEE7AF4.jpeg

/ Plowing Mishap #28  
Looks like you got it straightened out nicely.
I'd suggest that you reinforce the top just below the little flat bar that creates the capture of the top of the ssqa and the very bottom edge . It looks like you have room for this on the back (tractor) side.
2x2x3/8 angle is as light as I'd use. 4" channel would do as well. I'd leave an inch of clearance on each side between the new metal and the tractors ssqa.
Don't underestimate the forces that can be generated here including your chain "top link".👍

/ Plowing Mishap #29  
In your one picture you can see where the pin scraped the paint off near the rectangular slot. Be sure that bottom plate is not too far down so the beveled pin stays latched, it may be different than the other side. Might want to add a piece of steel to the out side of the slot to help keep the pin in.

/ Plowing Mishap #30  
Just a thought. The pivots where the plow frame mounts to the SS plate appear higher up (closer to center) than the ones I've built. When I adjust my lift chains the SS plate is angled forward a fair amount rather than being vertical. (I have no idea where you set yours.) Set that way the plate is pushed down and back and less likely to unhook the locking pins.
The underslung design used by others must really keep the plate hooked!
BTW, Nice job fixing the plate.