Plumbing question

/ Plumbing question #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Ever since I installed an inline water filter my pressure has been dismal; as in, a gallon per minute. I am thinking about putting another pressure tank after the filter, or move the one I have there. Would that increase my pressure? Conversely, would it cause problems?

Thank you

/ Plumbing question #2  
Ever since I installed an inline water filter my pressure has been dismal; as in, a gallon per minute. I am thinking about putting another pressure tank after the filter, or move the one I have there. Would that increase my pressure? Conversely, would it cause problems?

Thank you
Another pressure tank would make it better for a little bit, on a shower you are still going to be down to line rate.

Get a higher flow filter or put another one like you have in parallel, will roughly double the flow rate. Pressure gauge before and after the filter is not too expensive, and will let you see the pain with a faucet running if your not sure it is the filter.

Best,

ed

/ Plumbing question #3  
Depends - you on city or well water? Why did you install a filter?

Then where are you measuring this flow - at the pump or at the spigot/sink or is it all fixtures? Is this a whole house filter or on a sink, and do you have low from all fixtures?

You can put a booster after a filter but that's not the issue - it's a matter of supply pressure, volume and flow rates is not sufficient.

We have a 1.5 HP pump and 3/4" in line filter for the house, and 1" in line filter for irrigation - never had an issue with low flow or delivery even with nearly plugged filters!

/ Plumbing question
Depends - you on city or well water? Why did you install a filter?

Then where are you measuring this flow - at the pump or at the spigot/sink or is it all fixtures? Is this a whole house filter or on a sink, and do you have low from all fixtures?

You can put a booster after a filter but that's not the issue - it's a matter of supply pressure, volume and flow rates is not sufficient.

We have a 1.5 HP pump and 3/4" in line filter for the house, and 1" in line filter for irrigation - never had an issue with low flow or delivery even with nearly plugged filters!
Well water. It's for flushing and washing only, next year I plan to put in a purifying system. I put the 3/4" inline filter in this year because it's recommended in front of the purifier. I have 40 lbs of pressure coming from the pump, but only a gallon per minute coming from the tap.

/ Plumbing question #5  
If you installed a whole house filter, 3/4" it may be the filter media - try a 20 micron fiber filter. Sometimes the carbon filters will clog with iron we have in the water here in NE.

/ Plumbing question #6  
Any chance that tap is a newer faucet that is a low flow tap? We have a kitchen sink type faucet in the laundry sink (due to the pull out head) that is a water saver flow. Might work to save for places buying water, ie city supplied water, but not on private wells. Filling 5gal buckets for tile work took a long time. Jon

/ Plumbing question #7  
Change out the filter to a 20 micron fiber or paper filter - check flow at pump/tank then after filter.

The other thing that civilain refers to is the "in line" filters in new faucets with a hot/cold mixing valves. We have a Kohler sink faucet that has screen's in the lines - and these get plugged with debris very fast.

The fix is to remove the cold line, stick in a bucket open the mixing valve and backflush into the bucket then reattach.

/ Plumbing question #8  

Thank you
Something isn't right. 40psi into any reasonable size filter should get you way more than 1gpm. How did you measure the flow? Bathub?

Did you install a whole house type filter, i.e. 1" or 3/4" NPT fittings, with a 10" cartridge? 20 microns should be reasonable, but what are you trying to remove, and what do you plan to purify for/against in the future?

FWIW: most home systems run 40-60psi...

All the best,

Peter

/ Plumbing question #9  
I have inline filters. How much it reduces pressure/flow will be greatly dependent on the micron size of the filter. With only 40 lbs of pressure you're not going to be able to use anything much smaller than a 20 micron filter, and you might want to go larger, but that really depends on how small the particles are that you are trying to filter out. I have 50 to 60# of pressure and 1" NPT 10" Cartridge filters and the 20 micron filters work well for me. You said that you have 3/4" filters and this will also reduce flow through the filters.

If you are going to put stuff inline, like a purifier or you're going to need to get more pressure and you might want to look at replacing your pressure tank to something that will provide higher pressure. 40# of pressure seems low, as someone else mentioned.

You can reduce the amount of resistance and increase flow by using multiple filters in parallel, I used to have a single filter and a few years ago I put in 3 in parallel (reverse return) which reduces resistance to 1/3 of a single filter and this greatly improved overall pressure and water flow in the house. I would have put in 4 but did not have the room to mount them.

/ Plumbing question #10  
First thing I would do is remove the filter and check your water pressure where the line is connected to the filter. You need to know what that number is. Then I would attach the filter and measure the pressure at the filter discharge. If there is a significant difference, then it's the filter. While the filter is off, I would look really close to the fittings and make sure there isn't anything blocking the flow of water, or installed backwards.

Do not start adding anything until you have done all your testing on what you have already added.