Pocket Gopher Control

/ Pocket Gopher Control #62  
Hello All,

Ok, I am hell bent on getting this gopher. I have tried flooding it out three times. I tried a 15min. road flare. Nothing. It is still there tearing up a section of my hill. I can't use baits or poison because of my pets. I can't seem to find the gopher gassers locally. Stores are telling me they have not been able to get those in months. I'm going to try a trap next. But I am pulling my hair out over this one. It is being very sly. Any ideas? Would the exhaust from my gas riding mower work? How about from my newer diesel tractor? Thanks, B.
Try using swimming pool shock chlorine, 1 cup flood with water and seal the holes.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #63  
I mainly hunt them with a .22 cal bird shot and/or .410 with #8 shot.

The last gopher was at least 5 years ago.

This video tells a lot about the gopher, tunnels, and different means of control.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #64  
If you use a shotgun, do NOT use anything smaller than #8, I tried #9 because I ended up with some since I bought a new caliber mid rona so it was slim pickins but I never successfully dispatched a gopher with the #9, where I've gotten around 20 gophers with #7.5... their skin is way too loose unless you are right on them which is hard since they spook easily

This year I have only managed to sit in the camp chair watching for gophers twice, first time I gave up really early since there was a tractor next door spooking them apparently, second time only took 15 minutes... the rest of them have been going on a 5-30 minute "gopher walk" around the 2 acres with gophers in it... between walks when I see a mound is plugged I step on them to make it easier to spot new ones.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #65  
Some animals are called different things around the country. I assume you are talking about what here in Michigan a Mole. Here's my technique for Moles, the little suckers that that burrow a tunnel just under the grass. They have primary tunnels that they like to keep open, if you stomp them down, they will quickly try to reopen them. So I find the primary tunnel and then sit back with a 12 gauge and wait. Before too long you'll see the grass start to move as they try to repair the collapsed tunnel. You need to be very quiet as you work your way to the movement. You'll see the grass moving up and down. Right when it moves up, blast it from about a foot away, then grab a shovel, and you'll find a dead mole, usually blown in half.
Hilarious. I mash down the Mole tunnels and put a few wine bottles along the route. When he comes back and the bottles start to fall I have a tool I made with 20 6" Spikes welded to a plate with a long handle on it. I just step down behind him and give him the spikes. I kill 5-6 a year in the yard.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #66  
Carbide. That's what it is. I have a friend that puts carbide in the hole, probably adds a little water if needed and covers the hole. Makes acetylene gas when it gets wet.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #67  
Get some good cats. Best things we have ever had to get rid of gophers, moles and copperheads. They have brought up two dead green tailed copperheads this fall so far. Two gophers and two moles.

The yard used to be covered with mole hills and gopher tunnels. Now if one pops up it's gone in a few days.

They work 24/7 and we are gopher and mole free.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #68  
I have excellent luck with castor oil. It will not kill them but they sure scatter out of yard. Mix 2 ounces castor oil, 1 oz fragrance free soap (laundry or dish), blend in blender.
Add 3 ounces water, blend.
Use 2 Tabl of mixture to one gallon water. Use sprinkler can and start closest to where you don’t want then (ie the house or such). In a day or two keep chasing them out. I have not had moles or gophers near the house in years. Can use in all seasons. Not toxic to any animal.
Interesting and could have possibilities!! I'm wondering if an aversion to castor oil could be across species of rodents, specifically mice of all types. Its a bit late in the season but I will look into trying it both indoors and outdoors around my home. Will it bother the cats so they stay away too? Don't want that to happen!!

Last edited:
   / Pocket Gopher Control
Nice ideas guys. I will try some of them for sure. The one little turd that has been taunting me the last few weeks made a big mistake. We got heavy rain Sunday night. Well, yesterday it was cleaning out it's burrow. Well, about five minutes of waiting with my 12ga loaded with OO Buck took care of that turd. LOL. B.

Attachments

• rsz_gopher_2.jpg
    rsz_gopher_2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
   / Pocket Gopher Control #70  
Plug up all the entrances but one, dump a few lbs of dry ice into the remaining hole and cover that one. No odor, no noise and they suffocate without knowing anything is wrong.