Pole barn plan design tool?

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I want to build a run in shed, and have the basics in my mind. I know I can sit down, draw it out, make out a materials list, forget about 1/2 of the things I need, miss calculate some angle, length, height, or another, go back to the store and purchase more materials.... etc etc etc.

BUT, I’m wondering if anyone knows of an online app, program, service, etc which will do this things for me?

I‘m thinking about a program that I can input dimensions, etc, and it will spit out a materials list and perhaps basic plans.

IT WILL BE A PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD 14-16x36 run in shed. 12 vertical poles on concrete piers. Regular gable roof with overhang on front. Similar to the pic below, but less overhand and more stall

Any thoughts, recommendations, etc appreciated.

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #2  
If you have an 84 lumber nearby, you can see if they have a stock design that is close to what you want then request a quote. The quote will include drawings, cut lists, and everything down to he trim and nails.

/ Pole barn plan design tool?
I’ll check as I have one about 3 miles away. Thanks for the tip.

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #4  
Menards has a on line pole barn design tool as well.

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #5  
Ive used the Menards tool on their website before to get an idea for material price before and it worked well.

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #6  
I want to build a run in shed, and have the basics in my mind. I know I can sit down, draw it out, make out a materials list, forget about 1/2 of the things I need, miss calculate some angle, length, height, or another, go back to the store and purchase more materials.... etc etc etc.

BUT, I’m wondering if anyone knows of an online app, program, service, etc which will do this things for me?

I‘m thinking about a program that I can input dimensions, etc, and it will spit out a materials list and perhaps basic plans.

IT WILL BE A PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD 14-16x36 run in shed. 12 vertical poles on concrete piers. Regular gable roof with overhang on front. Similar to the pic below, but less overhand and more stall

You may want to check with your local building/planning department. The one I’m in has a series of guides that are effectively pre-engineered for up to certain clear spans, pole size/spacing, wall height, snow loads, etc. You use these guides and the details they contain as your building ‘plans’ for permitting purposes.

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #7  
I use sketchup for nearly all my projects welding or building now. There is a learning curve but I taught myself off youtube in a day or two and now I just look something up if I'm trying to do something specific I've never done before.

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #8  
Check with your local building department. My county has 3 pre approved plans that are free. Each has a complete list of building materials down to brackets and nails.

The pre approved plans are super basic but there’s a lot you could do to spice it up if desired.

/ Pole barn plan design tool? #9  

Just something to consider --- there's a debate over how to set your poles. Some say no concrete, just gravel backfill while others are all in for concrete. The concerns about concrete are over the post rotting at the base or if you happen to seriously damage one of the poles with your loader as you're mucking about, you have a bit of a problem (my shop burned down and we had to saw cut the concrete slab and then half dig the concrete bases out to get them with the skidsteer). So the latest idea in use is pouring concrete in your holes and setting those Simpson post bases 3:42m mark here (
) and bolting the posts to the base.