Pole Saws

/ Pole Saws #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
Rarely need one , Like 1 hour every year if that even . So last couple of years just borrowed neighbors Poulan . BUT this is after rebuilding the carb the first time and totally replacing carb and fuel lines last year .
So this past week , borrow it again . Start to put gas in it and WTF is that rattling around in there ?? The Filter !! Sure than SH*! , Gas line has rotted off again !! Well , I am not going down this road again . So just take it back .

Now He has been draining the gas out after every use , but apparently even the residue is enough to eat those lines up . Sure , Sure , Ethanol gas , But Why does my Stihl weedeater , Chainsaw or Homelite gas blower not have same problem ? Nor does neighbor's chainsaw , blower , trimmer ?? You look at the Poulan lines , Cheap tubing plastic , while Stihl , Homelite and many others use Rubber lines . Anyway , I Digress with my vent .

So still needed to use a pole saw . Solution , Went to Home depot and got this :

Ryobi 6 Amp Pole Chainsaw-RY43160A at The Home Depot

It is Electric , But I have 2 12 gauge cords , 50' and 100' , plus outdoor plugs every were around house and that is the only area I use one for . Limbs off house , shop , shed , power and cable lines to utility pole behind shop . To be Honest , I was pretty impressed . Now my Stihl is a 441 magnum which replaced 2 041's , thus I prefer power, but I was surprised at that little 10" bar going through everything from 1" up to 6" oak limbs . It is some what heavy holding it up in the air , but heck after 30 minutes , I was done and had one heck of a pile of limbs that I burned wednesday afternoon . :thumbsup:

I figure if I am only going to use it that much every year , Sure beats messing with 2 stroke mixed gas .

Fred H.

/ Pole Saws #2  
I'm waiting for B & D to come out with one for use with their 36-volt batteries, as I've got the hedge-trimmers and blower/sweeper that I've been impressed with. The battery one would be fine for the little bit that I would need every year and I think alternating the two batteries that I currently have would let me do what I need with no "waiting to charge" time.

I may replace my echo string trimmer if it every gives up the ghost, as about 15-20 mins. every couple of weeks is all I normally use it for.

Sometimes the stronger fuel models just aren't worth the hassle, if not used often.

Amazon.com: 36 volt

/ Pole Saws
We have the Craftsman brand 19.2 volt hedge trimmer and their small lawn trimmer my Wife uses before she mows . Use's same battery that my drill and impact driver uses , thus we have 4 batteries and there is always a couple fully charged . I opted for the electric since I did not want another battery charger around for only one item and like you , When you only use a item 1/2 to 1 hour a Year , Hard to justify the expense plus maintenance of a gas model .

Fred H.

/ Pole Saws #4  
I bought a Troybuilt 20v rechargeable pole saw about a year ago. I also got tired of all my gas powered equipment needing to be worked on every time I use it because I hardly use them any more. It works great and so far have never run it out of charge before my task is complete. The only problem I have had with it is the oil tank seems to leak a little and it sometimes finds its way down the handle. I bought a matching chain saw because it could use the same battery but if I need a chain saw I grab one of my stihls so far. Tested it once just to check it out but it doesn't impress me nearly as much as the pole saw.

/ Pole Saws #6  
Fred, I followed the link in your post and read the specs. Looks like it's got a 30 day return policy. So, trim up your limbs and take it back. You can buy it again next year! LOL :D

/ Pole Saws
Bigfoot : You know , I have been in Harbor Freight and Know that is exactly what I have seen some people do . I just can't do something like that . :thumbsup:

Store has 30 day return policy , saw has 3 year warranty , So not sure how that would work . I guess as I get older , I get lazy or just tired of beating yourself up especially on a project that is like 30 to 45 minutes per Year .

Fred H.

/ Pole Saws #8  
Not to dampen the post, but I've used an extendable manual pole saw for years, and use it a lot. The blade is about 18 inches long and the extended pole will reach about 15 feet. No batteries, no cords, no motor....just me at 5'4'' and 145 pounds and 81 years old. This would be perfect for 45 minutes a year especially. I even stand on an 8 ft ladder mounted in the back of my pickup truck to reach even higher. ... Just an FYI for y'all.... I ain't bragging or selling anything.

/ Pole Saws #9  
Same with me;have a "Poulan" in the shed.Not worth the trouble to try and start it.It doesn't have a lot of power when it does run.I purchased a manual(14ft.) saw........starts every time!

/ Pole Saws #10  
Manual? I thought I was going retro caveman with a rechargeable.:)