Pond Overflow - DIY Horizontal Drilling

OP
Argonne

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
Can you post some pictures of the berm and pond?

How about an annotated Google Earth image for now.

- Green line is the berm which at normal pond levels is about 10 feet higher than the water level.
- Blue line is the water path when it overflows at about 474ft AMSL (above mean sea level).
- Red line is proposed passive drain which I hope to be able to core through the berm.

Yes, when the pond is full, the water level is about 6 feet above the floor level of the house. The berm is my friend!
There are no dangers here, only the annoyance of having a stream depositing an alluvial plain right at the pasture entry gate when it overflows. I can, and do, pump the pond down when it threatens to overflow, but I would rather gravity take care of it in a non-destructive manner. Last year I pumped 200,000 gallons, but it was a very wet year. The drain pipe would dump in the pasture on a slope and take it to the ditch on the highway, along with the rest of the runoff from the pasture. As one of you alluded to, I could trench, but would that destroy the integrity of the well established berm? Don't know and won't risk it just to save getting wet once in awhile. Thanks for looking!

Pond.jpg