Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper
Yes, land planes or land levelers are great tools to control edge spill-over and to create a center crown, but, to do this with one pass? Most videos will show many passes with scarfiers to loosen the gravel, then, many passes to achieve the final grade.

Yes perhaps the "one pass" idea is somewhat naive, BUT, perhaps plausible on my driveway. Because, I have never added any fines to my gravel mixes, just clean stone. There is a good amount of loose gravel on top and it doesn't tend to get too compacted. I don't plan to use any rippers on it, or even want a land plane with rippers. I still have my box blade with rippers should such aggressive repairs ever be necessary.

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #12  
The next best tool to a landplain is a large roller to compact or settle the gravel find old asphalt roller and make it a pull behind. Also the one pass idea is great but I have found 2-4 times a cross and it holds up better. Then roll it.

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #13  
I'm in a similar situation. I have a 7' Everything Attachments 6-way rear blade and love it for plowing snow on my Kioti CK2610HST.
I would call it an economical way to get a jack-of-all-trades attachment. Well it may not be the best tool for any one thing, it has sufficed. I do use it to maintain my four hundred foot long gravel driveway how about this coming spring, I am going to bite the bullet on EA's Landshark land plane.
I'm on a mountain side where there's plenty of leveling to be done and the land plane with scarifiers, in combination with the rear blade can get me to where I need to be.

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #14  
Of all my implements - it's the LPGS about 10% of the time & the rear blade about 90% of the time. My goal - to establish & maintain a reliable driving surface. I have NO desire to create a pool table. My gravel driveway is a mile long. It has a few lumps & bumps. During the rainy season there are a couple puddles. I can live with this.

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #15  
Go find some hardwood 4x6 about 10' long. Cut in half for 2 5' pieces and bolt one to each side plate of your box scraper. Cut a 45* angle on each end (s) and see what you get.
Many years ago on a subdivision job there was a landscaper who did this grading for lawns. This was way before harley rakes and land plains and worked very well. There's a lot of beauty in simplicity and common sense.

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #16  
But the OP said "I don't have $1000+ to drop right now,....."

I know he did!
I simply suggested that he try to dig deeper (in his pocket)!

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #17  
Lately I’ve come to appreciate the “buy once, cry once” method of purchasing tools and equipment that I know I value, and will be needing and using on a consistent basis.
I understand the budget factor, but I wonder how happy you will be with less quality. Many of the cheaper substitutes that I have tried in the past, are long gone now, at a substantial discount to the buyer. No money was saved in the long run.

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #18  
If your surface material is just loose rock and not gravel that packs the back of your rear blade should work pretty good. If you can't turn the blade around 180 you could just drive backwards. With the straight edges you say you want you have to be turned around backwards anyways watching the blade all the time with a hand on the controls making continuous little adjustments. This is 3/4" crushed ledge. Spreads nice with the back of the blade.

RoadWork1.JPG

Or make a wooden drag like a landplane. RustyIrons idea sounds good too.

gg

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #19  
It appears to me you already own a perfectly adequate solution; the box blade. It seems what is lacking is the technique to use it effectively.

That only costs practice, which is free!

If you aren't happy with the box blade because it's not as effective as a land plane, then I can't see how compromising on the land plane is going to be any better. It's just going to give you two implements you are unhappy with.

/ Poor man (ok, cheap sob) wants a land plane grader/scraper #20  
Now I'm going to throw a real curve ball into the discussion.

Go to a pick a part. Find a front wheel drive vehicle with a solid rear axle. Bring the axle home complete with rims and tires. Buy about 30' of 2.5x2.5" square tubing. 1/4" wall would be good. Cut the square tubing in to 2 equal length pieces. Attach the tubing to the axle in an "A" shape by bolting/welding, whatever. Attach your box blade in the center of the "A". Make a good swivel hitch that attaches to the 3 point arms. Use the three point to control the depth of cut with your box blade. Now you have a very controllable grader that will level your driveway very nicely. Use differences in rear tire air pressure to angle the blade enough to put a crown in the road. If you bolt the box blade to the "A" frame you can unbolt it to use on the 3 point as originally intended. Chances are that once you have used it as I described you'll like it enough in most situations that you'll rarely go back.

That should fit your budget till you win the lottery.