Popping Noises from Woods??

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #1  

roamerr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I have an odd question. We have woods around our new home and recently have started hearing a popping noise in the woods in front of the house. The woods is mostly oaks and maples. I walked around trying to locate the popping and it sounds like it is coming from the trees? Anyone familar with such a noise? There is no electrical or water lines in the trees if that matters...

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #2  
Well, if it was the end of Winter, I'd say it was Spring ------- (you insert the word) out all over.:rolleyes:
Sorry, I couldn't resist that. No idea what could be causing the noise.

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #3  
need little more info

random timming and spaceing of pops or fairly constant/steady

seem to be more or less with wind?

more/less durring day/night?

does it seem to stop when you go into woods?

describe pitch and tone

/ Popping Noises from Woods??
I have heard the noise from 3pm to 11pm. I have not really listened to it at other times. It reminds me of a hardwood floor popping or wood walls popping from wood movement. When my wife pointed it out to me I thought we had a tree that was slowly falling. It sounds like the noises that are made when you cut a tree and it starts leaning. Problem is i can not see a tree that is falling...

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #5  
I've got a tree in a fence line near my barn that has a couple of crossed limbs. I would probably never have noticed except one evening I was down there without a light and I heard the weirdest whiny-howling noise since last time I visited a Halloween haunted house. Scared the bejeesus out of me. I was thinking mountain lion or something. The next day I looked around and spotted the rubbing limbs. Any time there's a bit of wind from the right direction it sounds off. I've heard it during daylight and it still makes my skin crawl. You might have something related.

Chuck

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #6  
Lotsa folks hear "sounds" in different ways...........This time of year the acorns falling sound kinda like a POP if they hit something as they fall.........Especially a metal roof, a car, or your head............Last year we had a heavy duty crop and there was no way one would park a vehicle out in the open or at times going out without a hard hat on.......This year when a wind gust goes through it sounds like a minor "fire fight" as they come down on the metal roofs of the various barns, sheds, and house....................Other than that a branch breaking and falling makes a pretty good noise........Any hanging up in the trees from the storms we have had???????.........God bless......Dennis

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #7  
Acorns is my guess too.

Summer time we hear what sounds like rain. Sorta. :laughing: I THINK it is a seed like thing being dropped from some of the trees. You only hear the sound when the leaves on the ground are dry.

We do have a dead cedar rubbing against another cedar. If the wind is blowing that thing will make a weird noise.

Later,
Dan

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #8  
I had a downey wood pecker pounding away at a dead limb this morning out in the back woods.

pop pop pop pop....

bet ya 10:1 you got a woodpecker out there finding some fall bugs.

/ Popping Noises from Woods?? #9  
Expand/contract from temps.

/ Popping Noises from Woods??
I was thinking the expand/contract from temps -- that was my guess. I have not seen a woodpecker and the sound does not sound like any woodpecker I have heard. Could be though. The sound also does not remind me of an acorn. Could still be an acorn. I'm now thinking I need to sit in the woods for a little while.

Keep any other thoughts coming.