Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #1  

OkieDave

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
I'm building a smoker, and I welded the hinges on this afternoon. I'm not particularly happy with the quality of my welds, and I was hoping to get some feedback from the more experienced members.

Background info: the pipe is 3/8", the hinges appear to be made of 1/4" material. Yes, the pipe is rusty, but I wire-brushed the weldment site thoroughly (knotted wheel on a handheld grinder). MM252, .030 ER70S6, 24.3V/500ipm (recommended setting), 25CFH of C25.

The pictures:

Front Weldment 1.jpgFront Weldment 2.jpgFront Weldment.jpgHinge Weldment.jpgRear Weldment 2.jpgRear Weldment.jpg

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #2  
I'd back the gas off to about 18 to 20 CFH.
How much stick out are you running?

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds
Initially, so little that I welded the wire to the contact tip! After that little mistake, I think I probably had 1/2" to 3/4", but don't hold me to that; I'm inexperienced enough that I had my attention full just trying to keep the puddle in generally the right place.

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #4  
For Mig welding I run about 3/8" stick out.
What brand of wire are you running?
For .030" wire I would try 22-volts. Wire speed around 400.

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds
I'm using Radnor right now. It was what the LWS carried.

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #6  
First chance you get, buy some Lincoln L-56 wire. Lowes carries it.
This is some L-56. vertical up hill, and a flat fillet weld.

Attachments

• LN25 V.jpg
    LN25 V.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Mig weld 101.jpg
    Mig weld 101.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 203
   / Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #7  
I had a similar problem with my Miller 211 using flux core .035. Fought it for awhile before I gave up and switched to a different wire and brand and my porosity issues went away. It seems the wire I was using was contaminated in some manner.

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #8  
Well, I'll shake up the cart a bit. On a MM 252 with .030 wire, I'd be at 18.5 volts and about 225 wire speed with ShieldArc's gas recommendation. This is using straight Co2. Even with 75/25, I wouldn't be much higher than this. Grab a piece of scrap and give it a try. I just did a job at a place with this very same welder and wire size and I think my final settings were 18.8 and 230. The people who use the machine (they're assemblers, not full time welders) just couldn't believe how smooth it welded. Miller recommendations on their machines has ALWAYS been way over what I settle on for a sweet spot. I've owned about a dozen Miller machines going back to the mid 80's because they are built only about 30 miles away from where I live.

/ Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #9  
Here is a fillet weld on 3/8" thick material. Made with Lincoln's .030" L-56 Mig wire. 29-volts. 224-amps. :D

Attachments

• 29 volts 224-amps.JPG
    29 volts 224-amps.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 224A Best.JPG
    224A Best.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 221
   / Porosity and Otherwise Lousy Welds #10