Portable work benches?

/ Portable work benches? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Now that I have a saw mill I'm starting to do more projects around my cabin. Put new rails on the porch last weekend. Planning a carport soon.

I have two old Black and Decker Workmates. One was a gift. One was my Dad's. They have been okay for simple projects but really don't cut the mustard for any serious work. Plus, all of the plastic parts have failed so they're a real pain to work with now.

Looking for recommendations for a better alternative.

I suppose most of what I'll be doing with them would fall under carpentry. Sawing. Electric hand plane. Bench top planer etc. After the carport my next big project will be a 40x30ish shop on a concrete slab. Those are the sorts of things I'll need it for.

Of course I can and will put together some saw horses. The reason I'm looking for a workbench is that I do a lot, probably most, of my work alone. It is nice to have a bench that I can easily clamp things into.

Any recommendations or experience much appreciated.

/ Portable work benches? #2  
I've been thinking about this as well.
It seems that I need to drag along the entire shed with me when I do something. I leave a trail of tools it seems for even small projects.

I want something on a small trailer that I can pull around with SXS and just roll it into the barn at day's end.
Glad you posted this so I can follow others smarter than me. 😉

/ Portable work benches? #3  
Lot of plans on the web, make it simple and relatively easy to move until you decide on a final resting place.
I've got a lot of 42"x8'+ work surfaces. The first levels of my numerous pallet racks. They work out well for me.

/ Portable work benches?
I'm thinking about something small like a Black and Decker workmate....just better built and better designed.

/ Portable work benches? #5  
I build this 2'X3' work/welding table and use it every where inside and out. Big caster makes it easy to move. Vise folds down for a flat surface for big stuff.

Cart7a.JPG

Cart7b.JPG

Cart8b.JPG

gg

/ Portable work benches? #7  
   / Portable work benches? #9  
I like this style of saw horse from toughbuilt They are rated at 1300 lb each or 2600 lb per pair and you can put a couple of 2 x 4 in the clamps and throw a sheet of plywood on and make a table. Plus the legs fold down into the top "box" to take up less space for storage or for transporting in the pickup.

Danno

/ Portable work benches? #10  
fine homebuilding portable bench

1x4 frame glued and gusseted with 1/4 plywood makes a strong, but lightweight frame. The two end pieces are on hinges so it folds nearly flat. Make it as tall as comfortable for you and put whatever top you want on it.

A bench top planer is going to be pretty heavy. Needs it own metal stand on wheels in my experience.