Portable work benches?

/ Portable work benches? #11  
I have a pair of wooden saw horses that I like the best, and a set of plastic saw horses that fold flat, that are OK. I also have 4 different roller stands that are easy to adjust their height. 90% of the time, I work off of my tailgate. But sometimes I'll set up a tool on a sawhorse and use the roller stand to support material out far. Right now I'm doing a lot of Hardie Lap Siding. I cut it off of my tailgate with a roller stand set up to support what hangs off of my tailgate. The most common "big" tool that I deal with is my chop saw. It fits perfectly on top of my wood sawhorses when I put them close together. There is no moving it around once it's in place, but it's very handy when set up. Since I work on other peoples homes for a living. it's important for me to be able to set up and get to work quickly. Hauling around a cart of some kind seems like it would take up a lot of room, and take more effort to set up.

/ Portable work benches? #12  
As Mr. Haney would say , have i got a deal for you .

Build a portable miter saw table that sets across a couple of saw horses . Stores easily in the shop standing on end . For most saws this can be accomplished with 1/2 sheet of 3/4" .

Attachments

• Miter saw table  2006.jpg
    Miter saw table 2006.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Miter S ll- 2006.jpg
    Miter S ll- 2006.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
   / Portable work benches? #13  
Not sure where I saw this, but I made 2 saw horses out of only 2x4's, I think it was in the Family Handyman magazine. They are sturdy, easy to carry around, and I just throw a sheet of plywood on top. Been doing that for years.

/ Portable work benches? #14  
If someone is cutting with a miter saw every day, it's worth it to invest in dedicated miter saw stand. It's safer to have the saw mounted to something. The extensions make it faster to support material of varying lengths and the cuts are more accurate. It's also more convenient if the stand actually rolls easily. This one from Home Depot has the larger wheels on it. Best miter saw stand for the money I've found.
RIDGID Universal Mobile Miter Saw Stand with Mounting Braces AC9946

Noticed it's on sale right now, too.

Although my 12" slider will fit on it, the slider is pushing the limits of what I'm personally comfortable with. It handles my 12" nonslider just fine.

/ Portable work benches? #15  
Built this using an old craftsman bottom chest, angle iron for a frame, old rear axle off a snowmobile skid and two old swivel casters for the front. Thought about running angle up the sides to reinforce and welding a piece of steel plate for a worktop getting rid of the mid box. When I worked at boatyards I utilized Stanley, wheeled carriers for organizing and hauling tools along wharfs can use the tops for a workbench kind of.

Attachments

• KIMG0989.JPG
    KIMG0989.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
  • KIMG0987.JPG
    KIMG0987.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • KIMG0986.JPG
    KIMG0986.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • KIMG0985.JPG
    KIMG0985.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • KIMG0983.JPG
    KIMG0983.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
   / Portable work benches?
Couple of thoughts:

I have a dedicated stand for my compound miter saw.

Roller stands would be very helpful. Need to get a couple of those.

Bench top planer is heavy, about 80 pounds. This shouldn't be a problem for a decent work bench and in fact the weight was no problem for the WorkMate. The problem there was that the planer slipped around on the smooth WorkMate surface. Rubber feet on the planer would help with that. Or a set of clamps.

This bench gets good reviews:

https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-3713...-1a699327467e?quality=60&_mzcb=_1649148331752

/ Portable work benches? #17  
Couple of thoughts:

I have a dedicated stand for my compound miter saw.

Roller stands would be very helpful. Need to get a couple of those.

Bench top planer is heavy, about 80 pounds. This shouldn't be a problem for a decent work bench and in fact the weight was no problem for the WorkMate. The problem there was that the planer slipped around on the smooth WorkMate surface. Rubber feet on the planer would help with that. Or a set of clamps.

This bench gets good reviews:

https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-3713...-1a699327467e?quality=60&_mzcb=_1649148331752
Those are nice work benches, probably Build or find an old warehouse cart for it, imo. If you end up using castors probably make sure they lock. Or use the running gear from one of these for more off-road capability and build what and mount how you want and what you need off it. I built this one awhile back it has held up really good endless uses, plenty of room, backing it hooked to a lawn tractor is a challenge it's small enough I can unhook and manhandle it though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-133447.png
    Screenshot_20220628-133447.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 78
  • KIMG0991.JPG
    KIMG0991.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 81
   / Portable work benches? #18  
   / Portable work benches? #19  
Like you, I'm usually doing projects by myself. A decent portable workspace with clamps is like another set of hands. I have both the WORX table and a KETER table. Both are light and portable but hold hundreds of pounds. Deploy and fold easy. I recommend them both.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Portable work benches? #20  
1656444410319.png

1656444508566.png

Example of Keter with adjustable legs and Worx Pegasus.