portage blue mystery question.

/ portage blue mystery question. #31  
When I went to Boundry Waters in the 70s it was pristine. If memory serves, the canoe park was 99% in Canada but one of the lakes had a tiny section in US. This was the only lake with any type of development at all. Houses, boats with motors etc.

None of the lakes in the rest of the park had anything, nothing, nada. We would go days without seeing anyone. You were lucky to find the next portage. You could drink the water from the lakes. Lots of odd regulations about campfires and certain food you could take in, no live bait for fishing etc etc. No motors of any kind.

i hope it's still like that.

/ portage blue mystery question.
Like everything else, regulations have been updated over the years. They control the number of permits given to get into the boundary waters.

/ portage blue mystery question. #33  
I messed up, i was trying to reply to my own post about the boundry waters...

On my free internet tv on a channel called Tubi there is a category called documentaries. I've seen many.

I found one on the Boundry Waters! I was so excited.

No close captioning, can't watch (hear). I'd love to see it on google earth or from a drones perspective.

If anyone watches....i'm still looking for the knife i lost in 1975!

/ portage blue mystery question. #34  
Like everything else, regulations have been updated over the years. They control the number of permits given to get into the boundary waters.
wow.....as said, we would go days without seeing a person.

This post is for the skeptics here. :oops: Motor boats are not allow on the portage and are far from vehicle use roads. So who might be doing home project there with blue plastic? :unsure: Below are photos of the hyfax sled runners that mushers and resorts near must like the blue version. In the bottom photo is Snowbank lake and the "blue" portage it was seen on, is on the far left side.
Hyfax-Runners.jpg
sled_runners2.jpg
snowbank-map-2.jpg

/ portage blue mystery question. #37  
Those of us that live in the south wouldn't know about how the sleds are set up so this thread is interesting. I'm assuming hyfax is a type of plastic which I've never heard of before either. However, I'm not surprised because our airboats are set up similarly, but we use UHMW plastic which is white. (Note: UHMW can be had in colors, but I've never seen anyone use anything other than white)

The runners might be UHMW plastic or HDPE. Whatever it is, is should be UV stabilized and Hyfax might be a trade name for a polymer?? I have no idea.