Post hole auger bit?

/ Post hole auger bit?
I can do it, and it's had some done already but they waited till it was so worn down to do it, but didn't build it back up, not sure all the effort it would take to rebuild this one is worth it. May be just as well off to start with a new auger of a better style for what I'm going to do with it and keep it properly maintained.

/ Post hole auger bit?
Well I did a little maintenance on the auger, two new cheap teeth from TSC, and rebolted the tip to the tube. After drilling 3 holes the new teeth sure took a beating, but it was working good UNTILL, the shaft gave up. Guess the HREW tubing was weaker than the 5/16th grade 8 bolt he had for a shear bolt. :) never even thought to look and see what grade bolt he had in it for a shear bolt , but should have known.

Attachments

• image-2925618737.jpg
    image-2925618737.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image-463200395.jpg
    image-463200395.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2048833885.jpg
    image-2048833885.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 159
   / Post hole auger bit? #13  
It should be a grade 5 5/16th bolt for the shear bolt..

/ Post hole auger bit? #15  
Well I did a little maintenance on the auger, two new cheap teeth from TSC, and rebolted the tip to the tube. After drilling 3 holes the new teeth sure took a beating, but it was working good UNTILL, the shaft gave up. Guess the HREW tubing was weaker than the 5/16th grade 8 bolt he had for a shear bolt. :) never even thought to look and see what grade bolt he had in it for a shear bolt , but should have known.

Well look at the bright side - now you can get the auger you wanted :cool2:, Hope the gear box is OK.

/ Post hole auger bit?
I'm just going to replace the twisted tube with a new piece of 1" again tomorrow, and then throw in a new lower grade bolt for a shear pin. I may try a standard grade first just to see how long it lasts, I can always step up to a grade five if need be. I'm really debating on buying a hydraulic unit for the loader or even building a pto unit with down force, so I don't have to borrow his anymore, I don't have a big use for one but it would be here when I wanted to use it and know what condition it would be in :)

/ Post hole auger bit? #17  
I'm just going to replace the twisted tube with a new piece of 1" again tomorrow, and then throw in a new lower grade bolt for a shear pin. I may try a standard grade first just to see how long it lasts, I can always step up to a grade five if need be. I'm really debating on buying a hydraulic unit for the loader or even building a pto unit with down force, so I don't have to borrow his anymore, I don't have a big use for one but it would be here when I wanted to use it and know what condition it would be in :)
I rebuilt my PTO unit to fit on my QH. Sa a result the hydraulic toplink gave me downforce for a foot or 2. I didnt get the angles perfect so if I lowered the 3pt before extending the toplink I hit the PTO shaft. Bent it a little a few times, but t kept working fine. It ran off with my old L3200. Got a 3rd function on my new L4060 & a hydraulic SSQA PHD now. Way easier to hook up. Visibility is ok... No more crinked neck, but its so far forward its a little hard to make sure its level front to back. Offset mount means its not hiding behnd the hood. Downpressure is great as is reverse. My unit is designed for 2,500, maybe 3,000psi & under 12 or 15gpm. I have around 9gpm usable gpm. Comparing the usable power on my hydraulic unit, its less than the 25pto HP on my L3200. But the relief valve, down pressure & reverse means I can work it harder with no consequences. I'm finaly realizing my holes per hour is abotut the same as it use to be.

/ Post hole auger bit?
Thanks, I'm just thinking things over right now, but I do like the reversibility and using it on the front loader for the same reasons you listed.

/ Post hole auger bit? #19  
The Tractor Supply auger with a screw shaped point works well in my red clay. I don't have many rocks.

Last edited: