Posthole digger/auger

/ Posthole digger/auger #11  
Consider what diameter size auger you want. What size are your post? Are they round or square (check the diagonal), and how much extra space in the hole do you want for “final adjustment”.
Consider if the auger has removable cutting edges.
Consider if you tractor can lift it high enough and does it have lift adjustment settings.

They are one of the most difficult things to attach to a 3pth. I always have to watch out for pinch points that can surprise you when they move. Like a 300lb folding chair and mousetrap combo. I hang mine from a tree when I remove it.

I have a Danuser 12” that has a hydraulic cylinder on it that supposedly provides some down force, but I’ve never connected the cylinder up when using it. Never need to, so can’t say how well that option works. I think I paid $600-$800 for it used.

Last edited:
   / Posthole digger/auger #12  
I understand your situation completely ! I tore my shoulders up with a gas powered 1-Man unit (ice auger on steroids). Then I went with the 3pt deal with its problems of attaching it and needing an owl neck to line it up and operate it. Storing it went easier when I drilled it partway into the ground and disconnected it, making it also easier to reload.

Then i found a hydraulic motor at a garage sale, fabbed a cage for it and got an adapter to connect the motor shaft with the old augers. The cage swivels to keep it vertical not matter what the field slope is. It plugged into a trailer hitch receiver on my bucket. That worked great but was mounted in the center of my bucket (hard to see the target).

Now I made use of a single JD Hook & Pin plate (Amazon) to mount it at the left loader arm. Easy to see, easy to hook up & dismount, and the other loader arm is useful to push the fence wire away from the new/replacement hole. Plus, the hydraulic drive is reversable for that time when you drill into clay or hit a rock or tree root. Did I mention downforce ? BTW: I use the bucket curl circuit to run it . Now I have the Summit electric 3rd circuit for my snow plow, but found it's unnecessary for hole drilling. I still drill it partway into the ground for storing but the mounting problem is solved.

/ Posthole digger/auger #13  
Like a 300lb folding chair and mousetrap combo.
That is hilarious... and True

I was just going to rent one as I figured how many times would I really need to dig post holes? However I found a Rankin with a 9/10 inch Auger on Craigs list for 325 bucks - the payback on that was pretty easy math not to mention the ease of being able to dig a hole when I want to, and not plan it out around a rental window. It was not pretty but a little bit of polishing on the PTO connector, and a precautionary swap out of the gear oil + some TLC with the pressure washer and she digs holes like a champ.

20230331_153921.jpg

/ Posthole digger/auger #14  
I have one I bought from either TSC or Central Tractor. They merged in '99 but I think I probably got it more like '95. Still works great. I have 9" and 6" augers, and wore out the 9", the screw tip and cutting edges just rounded completely over, just replaced that auger last year. Nowadays I rarely use it for anything besides planting trees. But on one job it drilled 100 post holes through my terrible gravel and clay soil. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I have a sturdy mount in the ceiling of my barn and it the digger hangs from an eyebolt through the highest point on its frame. I have an I beam and trolley with a chain hoist on it, and use that to mount the digger on the tractor. I did it the hard way for quite a few years, but, speaking of augers, screw that.

/ Posthole digger/auger #15  
I bought a TSC PHD a few years ago. I already had a 9 inch auger that I bought cheap. I love the thing. I bought it for planting trees. I hang it between a couple trees when not using it. Because of this I can put it on in about 10 minutes and remove it in 5. If my wrists weren't so damaged I could put it on faster. If you get one think about how you are gonna store it.
Eric

/ Posthole digger/auger #16  
Would a chain and your bucket sink the metal
fencing posts??? I know this works for pulling
them out! I have a few I need to install so its
a one time deal and I am in no hurry.

willy

/ Posthole digger/auger #17  
I have not used a one man auger but I have man-handled mounting a PTO auger to the 3 point hitch... and it's not an easy job.

It's one of my least favorite implement to hook up...
We always take ours off beside a pole on the barn. Come along hanging down from top. That way it's standing up and very easy to hook up. I thought everyone did it that way. A tree works. Set a cross tie and that works. Probably the fastest thing I can hook up.

/ Posthole digger/auger #18  
Would a chain and your bucket sink the metal
fencing posts??? I know this works for pulling
them out! I have a few I need to install so its
a one time deal and I am in no hurry.

willy
You have to put a piece of pipe over the post because they collapse pretty easy. Now if you get a piece of pipe, cap one end, put a piece of chain on it, so you can pull it off pipe, saving getting off tractor. You, sir, will be cooking with grease. With that pipe, you also can kinda bang it down a little bit, if you find a hard spot. All the green t posts are made right here. I can hear that place on a quiet night. Green ones are made out of railroad track from Europe.