Posthole digger/auger

/ Posthole digger/auger #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I am interested in buying a digger that will connect to the 3-point hitch and PTO. It may not be cost-effective but I would like to have an auger whenever I want to use it; the one-man auger has become too heavy for me to use.

What model and brand would you buy?
Who has a good price on diggers?

/ Posthole digger/auger #3  
You'll find a lot of augers on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace also.

/ Posthole digger/auger #4  
I have a really solid Danuser I would sell for 600 bucks. I bought a hydraulic unit and don't use this one any longer. I'm in SC. I'm sure if you look around you can find a Danuser closer to you. I just happen to know this one is in good condition.

/ Posthole digger/auger #5  
I would just buy a used one with the auger size you want. These things dont get used a ton and you never know what might be for sale localy.

/ Posthole digger/auger #7  
TSC carries the County line brand. I got one new for $600 with a nine inch auger. I've set lots of post and have more yet to set. As old and tired says they are a bit of a pain to put on - a stand of some sort would make the job easier but they save allotta work

/ Posthole digger/auger #8  
Come up frequently used.
Have a Ford with 12” auger I haven’t used in >15 years. Screw point to handle Tennessee clay, shale and rocks. It has a feature of a lever to swing the auger in/out from the seat when starting a hole. Handy in hill country. Worth -$350.

/ Posthole digger/auger #9  
I bought one about 15 years ago from Tractor Supply back when they cost $500 and dug many holes with it for myself and others. I had it on my 16hp Bolens and it dug fine but getting it back out was a problem if you hit roots or rocks, no reverse on them things. I now have it on my 25hp Kubota L-245dt which has twice the lift as the Bolens. Paid for itself the first year I had it and not a problem yet. Got 6 and 9inch augers and am thinking about a 12 inch.

Attachments

• DSC01285.JPG
    DSC01285.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
   / Posthole digger/auger #10  
I never really considered a posthole auger when I installed my perimeter fence. Fence around my 80 acres is a mile and a half of barbed wire. About 75% of my fence line is in areas where you could never get a tractor. It was hard enough just getting the post and manual pounder to many, many locations.

I used 145 grade T-posts and pounded them in with a manual pounder. 655+ T-posts.

If you have flat land and want to install wood posts - I guess an auger is one way to go. I would personally want some form of a pounder - even to install wood posts on flat land.