Power Beyond Port?

/ Power Beyond Port? #1  

kwolfe

Platinum Member
What is power beyond. When installing my loader, I saw the input, output and "power beyond" ports that I plumbed. I can understand what the first two do, but I am not quick sure what the 3rd is for. Any information would be approciated.

By the way, this is my first experience with hydraulics, so try and keep the words small.:D

/ Power Beyond Port? #2  
Input (or inlet) = pressure in from the pump

Output (or tank port) = return to tank/sump port for neutral pressure fluid exhausted from the cylinders

Power Beyond = pressure out to the next valve in the series circuit

The actual workings have been expained many times here. Do a search for more information.

/ Power Beyond Port?
I read some of your posts from a while back, now I have a better understanding, however how does it operate in my little bx1500 loader with 3 cyclinders? Does it power the bucket cyclinder?

/ Power Beyond Port? #4  
kwolfe said:
I read some of your posts from a while back, now I have a better understanding, however how does it operate in my little bx1500 loader with 3 cyclinders? Does it power the bucket cyclinder?
Power beyond has absolutely nothing to do with your bucket cylinder or cylinders. A valve with power beyond does not exhaust neutral pressure fluid from the work ports back into the pressure stream, rather it exhausts fluid thru the tank port. The power beyond port always has pressure fluid.

Your BX loader valve has 2 spools, one controls any and all bucket lift/lower cylinders and one spool controls any and all curl/dump cylinders. The ports on the valve that connect to the cylinders are called work port and each spool has two. At any one time one work port is pressure to the cylinders and the other is exhaust from the cylinders.

/ Power Beyond Port? #5  
Power beyond is normally a port (and usually a separate joy stick for controlling it) for running something like a log splitter off the back end or maybe a thumb on the FEL on the front. Not sure the BX1500 has that option kit. You'll have to ask your dealer, or maybe someone here knows.

Ralph

/ Power Beyond Port? #6  
Power Beyond is a feature that a hydraulic control valve may have - or may not have. It is only a valve feature. It stops there. I think the confusion that exists around Power Beyond is that other stuff is often sold along with it - and the impression is left that the added stuff is part of Power Beyond. But power beyond is just a feature of a valve. A control valve with power beyond has a center section that other downstream valves can be connected to. Those other downstream valves may or may not be on the tractor. For instance, on a machine with a backhoe attachment, the FEL control valve may have a power beyond outlet but it isn't connected to any downstream valves until the backhoe is attached - then the pb hose supplies the backhoe valves. Many other machines are sold with extra hydraulic connections AND a control valve for them fed from a power beyond port.

/ Power Beyond Port? #7  
Simply put, power beyond refers to the configuration of the spool valve's outlet section. Nothing more, nothing less. People have used it to refer to other things but it is simply just the configuration of a valve's outlet section ports.

When the outlet section of a valve is configured for power beyond, the work port exhaust fulid is isolated from the normal flow fluid output, making 2 outlet ports. One outlet port is the exhaust or return to tank port that carries neutral pressure fluid from the cylinders back to the tank. The other port is the power beyond port that allows the fluid flow to power valves beyond this valve.

When the valve spools are in neutral, fluid flows thru the valve and exits at the power beyond port. When a spool is activated, neutral pressure fluid from the cylinders is sent to the tank port instead of being dumped back into the main flow.

Last edited:
   / Power Beyond Port?
I think I understand now. My bx does have the port. I did all the plumbing for the loader (great learning experience). I have three plumb lines that come out of the aux hydro block (in, out, and PB). All three lines plug into the loader control valve. That is why I ask. The loader control valve must simply loop the PB back into the system. Is this a fair assumption?

Sorry if my terminology is a little off.

So if I wanted to hook a hudro top link up, I would need to run the PB line into a valve control (with lever) and would have to tap into the existing exhaust port, yes?

/ Power Beyond Port? #9  
kwolfe said:
The loader control valve must simply loop the PB back into the system. Is this a fair assumption?
All valves are connected in series (an inlet to an outlet). The PB port is the outlet exit from the valve that continues this series circuit.

kwolfe said:
So if I wanted to hook a hudro top link up, I would need to run the PB line into a valve control (with lever) and would have to tap into the existing exhaust port, yes?
Sort of. The PB port from a previous valve connects to the inlet of your new aux valve. The PB from the new aux valve connects back into the series circuit. The tank port from you aux valve can be teed with any other tank line since this goes directly to the tank/sump and is not the main flow. It is the ONLY line that can be teed as it is not directly a part of the main flow series circuit.

/ Power Beyond Port?
OK, now moving back to confused. Let me try this. When I installed the loader, I ran three lines (in, out, PB) from the hydro block (above left rear tire) under the tractor and into the gismo (tech term) that the loader control joystick comes out of. All three lines go into this thing. In that joystick gism there are 3 valves (correct?). These control the flow of hydro fluid depending on how I move the stick. There are four lines that come from the gismo that go to the loader. I am assuming that two (in & out) for each arm cylinder. What about the dump cylinder (only one)?

Sorry I am so slow, however I just don't speak hydroneese.:confused:

Also, really appreciate the help. I am taking notes.:eek: