Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #1  

tommott77

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430 Deutz, Kubota bx1880, CAT 301.7D mini ex
Hi all, I am considering looking into buying a power trac. They've been on my radar for a while but it looks like they're capabilities are starting to fall well into a line of needs that can soon be handled by one tractor for me. I've had several 1 series John Deere tractors, a 3025E, and a small mini excavator. I'm curious as to how a power trac 425 or 1430 feels in terms of size compared to 1 or 3 series John Deere? For example would the oscillating and articulating steering make a 1430 feel, drive, handle, leave turf damage, etc more like a SCUT as opposed to a CUT?

I've never driven an oscillating/articulating tractor before. Looking at their website the 1430 looks a bit on the large size for my needs, looking every bit the size of my 3025 which I soon won't be needing as much anymore. The 425 looks about the perfect size for my needs on paper but it does not appear that they offer the diesel engine in that size model which is basically an absolute must for me.

Last edited:
   / Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #2  
The Power trac is pretty friendly on lawns with little damage unless really wet. As far as what size I have a 422 which is same size as 425 and I use it for a lot of things and I also have an Power Trac 1845 slope mower which I use mostly for mowing my lawn it is a little larger than the 1430 and it is good on lawns also. Let us know what jobs you have in mind and we could give you better advice. I use the 422 a lot more than the 1845 because it will do most everything I need to do. The 422 has almost 3,400 hours on it and the 1845 has about 2,400 hours , about 900 hours was on the 1845 when I purchased it used. Take a ride to Tazewell and try both out they let you demo the machines and attachments on their test site.

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #3  
After doing your research you could go to Tazewell ready to buy either one, and make your decision after operating them. I have a 1430 and a 180. You will NOT FIND a better tractor for minimizing lawn damage. It will be as good as Steiner or Ventrac but the PT has a more usable design. The PT feel different because they are low to the ground compared to a CUT. As ernemats suggested, what jobs are you planning? Overall I prefer the PT over a CUT. Those John Deere tractors look real pretty, but it you get into some hard work, land clearing for example, the PT is made all out of steel plate and survive a lot of abuse without any damage. You just have to watch backing into things with the hood's grill or lifting brush up and over the top of the ROPS and hitting the cooling fan on top of the engine cover, the only delicate parts of the tractor.

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #4  
After doing your research you could go to Tazewell ready to buy either one, and make your decision after operating them. I have a 1430 and a 180. You will NOT FIND a better tractor for minimizing lawn damage. It will be as good as Steiner or Ventrac but the PT has a more usable design. The PT feel different because they are low to the ground compared to a CUT. As ernemats suggested, what jobs are you planning? Overall I prefer the PT over a CUT. Those John Deere tractors look real pretty, but it you get into some hard work, land clearing for example, the PT is made all out of steel plate and survive a lot of abuse without any damage. You just have to watch backing into things with the hood's grill or lifting brush up and over the top of the ROPS and hitting the cooling fan on top of the engine cover, the only delicate parts of the tractor.

A 425 will never stay with a Ventrac cuting up and down and side cutting hills plus the ventrac is way easier on the yard. Plus the Ventrac is built way heavier as is the deck and it has a weight transfer system..... jim

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #5  
A 425 will never stay with a Ventrac cuting up and down and side cutting hills plus the ventrac is way easier on the yard. Plus the Ventrac is built way heavier as is the deck and it has a weight transfer system..... jim

Well you are on a PT forum, so here goes. There is way more to life then cutting hills, so other then that Ventrac can't compete with Power Trac and after owning a Steiner, I feel sorry for the people that buy those (unless it is only for cutting grass). And regarding that, you are comparing the smallest commercial PT, why not compare it to a 1430 with the weight transfer system? The only reason it is "way easier on the yard" is because the Ventrac can't do heavy work like a PT can, so along with heavy lift, goes the equal and opposite force into the tuff. I don't see how your claim that the Ventrac is built heavier then the PT. I do know that when Steiner (the family split and spun off the Ventrac brand) came out with the 525 with a larger engine, the transaxle would fail, very expensive! Don't seem to have this problem with PT. The mower deck may be heavier, but I would want to get something for having to pay 3X or 4X the price! And then the implement is driven by one single V belt, with limited HP capability. Good thing it is for mainly for cutting grass. How about the front bucket attachment, how high can it lift 2'? It can't even dump into a stock pile. Sorry, but there is no comparison for an all around general purpose machine. The only area a Ventrac can beat PT is that the Ventrac cost more.

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #6  
Well you are on a PT forum, so here goes. There is way more to life then cutting hills, so other then that Ventrac can't compete with Power Trac and after owning a Steiner, I feel sorry for the people that buy those (unless it is only for cutting grass). And regarding that, you are comparing the smallest commercial PT, why not compare it to a 1430 with the weight transfer system? The only reason it is "way easier on the yard" is because the Ventrac can't do heavy work like a PT can, so along with heavy lift, goes the equal and opposite force into the tuff. I don't see how your claim that the Ventrac is built heavier then the PT. I do know that when Steiner (the family split and spun off the Ventrac brand) came out with the 525 with a larger engine, the transaxle would fail, very expensive! Don't seem to have this problem with PT. The mower deck may be heavier, but I would want to get something for having to pay 3X or 4X the price! And then the implement is driven by one single V belt, with limited HP capability. Good thing it is for mainly for cutting grass. How about the front bucket attachment, how high can it lift 2'? It can't even dump into a stock pile.

Sorry, but there is no comparison for an all around general purpose machine. The only area a Ventrac can beat PT is that the Ventrac cost more.

So there is no comparison in the mowing The Ventrac is the hands down winner but you said they were equal?

yes the little bucket will only lift a couple feet but I don't need any more for hauling dirt or stone or mulch. The 425 PT can lift higher but not high enough to do anything more useful.... Plowing snow the Ventrac will bury the 425 PT Stump grinder works every bit as good as the 425..... Let me see my 3 point stuff works good also ripper on the back and bucket on the front...... If you base your opinion on the old Steiner you are way off base. I can also run a 95" mower up hill.... jim

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #7  
Folks, let's keep this on track with the OP's question please.

He doesn't want a PT425(or smaller) because it has a gas engine. So we probably shouldn't be discussing that model.

What we need is a list of tasks the OP is wishing to perform.

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #8  
So there is no comparison in the mowing The Ventrac is the hands down winner but you said they were equal?

yes the little bucket will only lift a couple feet but I don't need any more for hauling dirt or stone or mulch. The 425 PT can lift higher but not high enough to do anything more useful.... Plowing snow the Ventrac will bury the 425 PT Stump grinder works every bit as good as the 425..... Let me see my 3 point stuff works good also ripper on the back and bucket on the front...... If you base your opinion on the old Steiner you are way off base. I can also run a 95" mower up hill.... jim

This started as a person shopping for what brand of tractor to purchase. So just because you are satisfied with a 2' high loader doesn't mean anyone else will be. You keep bringing up the 425 which cost $13,200 and comparing it to a Ventrac that cost $22,600 and you still can't match it. You should compare your machine to the 1430 which is still cheaper($18,800) then the ventrac and is a much higher category of performance. When I look at the Ventrac site, they tell me that it has better visibility so we now know there are mistruths in their advertising. On the visibility topic, tell me why they still put the engine in the front and then have to put steel weights on the back? The PT out of the box comes balance and ready to perform to spec. and no hood to try and look over to see what your implement is doing. With a front engine it would be better getting a CUT like a Kubota and not buy a Ventrac that has a Kubota engine and still have your implement driven by a fan belt.
And really if you thing about it, your finish mower is $5,500 and the rough cut mower is $5,000. So for those 2 implements you have $10,500 added to the price. The 1430's mower only cost $3,100 and $1,600 respectively, a $5,800 savings over Ventrac!! Money to buy more (less expensive) implements. How can you still continue to argue this????

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #9  
Folks, let's keep this on track with the OP's question please.

He doesn't want a PT425(or smaller) because it has a gas engine. So we probably shouldn't be discussing that model.

What we need is a list of tasks the OP is wishing to perform.

I was typing while you posted this, I agree.

/ Power Trac 425/1430 feel/size compared to SCUT/CUT #10  
The heat of passion for our machines... :laughing: