Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow

/ Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow #1  

SpudHauler

Gold Member
Tractor
RTV1100 2009
Is a pressure relief block like this one pictured here required when using a 12v selector valve?
Or does the selector valve, from Surplus Center, have it's own release?
I bent one of my bolts holding the swing cylinders and am wondering if it was because i did not re-install the relief block when I installed the selector valve.
The selector valve gives me the up/down and left/right using one spool on my RTV1100 Kubota.
Third picture is how it is connected out front and on the spool lever I have a push button switch for the left/right cylinder activation.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    744.8 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    841 KB · Views: 870
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    976.3 KB · Views: 352
   / Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow #3  
Spud, you still need the cushion valve AKA cross-over relief valve. Your solenoid valve blocks both work ports when it's in neutral so the fluid would have nowhere to go.

/ Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow #5  
It is optional to use a relief valve with cylinders in your situation. They are designed to relieve load generated pressure. If you choose to use the relief valve to protect the cylinders, then you should use a [ DRV ] Dual relief valve. If you go the full route, then you need a DRV for each cyl. You should set the relief pressure about 50 to 100 psi lower than the FEL relief valve.

They need to be close to the cyl for full protection. They usually come set for abut 2000 psi, so use a hyd gage to adjust.

/ Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow
Yes JJ that is the 12v selector valve from Surplus Centre you linked to that I am using.
So you do need the cross-over relief because the selector valve blocks the circuit. And your spool valve would never get the chance to go to relief mode. That is if the spool valve can relieve pressure from a bump like one on a plow blade.
I caught an edge with the plow at some point and bent just the bolt. Lucky.
In changing my plow mount I found the bent bolt and want to prevent that if I can.
So the relief dumps the pressure back to the other cylinder in this case and allows some movement of the blade instead of allowing things to get bent. Cool.
And I just thought it was for making connections. You learn lots from this site, thanks to you guys.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1261_small.jpg
    IMG_1261_small.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 246
   / Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow #8  
It is optional to use a relief valve with cylinders in your situation. They are designed to relieve load generated pressure. If you choose to use the relief valve to protect the cylinders, then you should use a [ DRV ] Dual relief valve. If you go the full route, then you need a DRV for each cyl. You should set the relief pressure about 50 to 100 psi lower than the FEL relief valve.

They need to be close to the cyl for full protection. They usually come set for abut 2000 psi, so use a hyd gage to adjust.

Kinda hard to have a DRV for each of two single acting cylinders. The pictured valve is designed and sold to protect both with a single block, hence the name 'crossover relief'.
Circuit relief protection is set above system relief pressure, not at or below. Setting circuit relief pressure below system pressure lowers system pressure by default, and is a mistake best not made.
Crossover relief valving is optional on a snowplow power angle circuit only to the extent the owner is willing to sacrifice a hose, valve body or cylinder when severe shock loading is applied to the plow and angle circuit components. The OP's results are proof and typical. Having a crossover valve bought, paid for and not installed on a plow's angle circuit is somewhere between risky and downright foolish.

/ Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow #9  
When do you ever set a downstream relief valve higher than system pressure?

/ Pressure Relief Block, Curtis plow #10  
When do you ever set a downstream relief valve higher than system pressure?

Every single time that the RV is protecting a work circuit from shock loading when the spool is centered and the work ports are isolated. Backhoes, snowplows, whatever. If nominal system pressure is 2500 psi or so, circuit relief valves are typically 2750 -3000 psi.