Pressure washer

/ Pressure washer #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
Anyone use a electric pressure washer for cleaning equipment?
I don’t want another motor to maintain for the occasional need to wash tractor, equipment, truck, etc? Nothing heavy to clean, just greasy tractor & equipment parts.

Any recommended brands to purchase or avoid?

/ Pressure washer #2  
I don’t have any specific brand to endorse BUT, if your going to use ANY type of cleaner and use the pw tank to disperse it onto your dirty machine.. U GOTTA FLUSH IT W CLEAN WATER BEFORE STORING..otherwise some sort of “unloader valve” gets stuck and it won’t work correctly anymore.!!

/ Pressure washer #3  
I don’t want another motor to maintain for the occasional need to wash tractor, equipment, truck, etc? Nothing heavy to clean, just greasy tractor & equipment parts.

I'm not a believer in pressure washing equipment because the water pressure tends to get past, and into, bearings as well as every other operating system on the piece of equipment.

I imagine that, if the piece really needs it and there's not a lot of options, a pw would be a last resort kind of thing. If you use it with great care and discretion and are careful....... I guess it would be okay.

I think it would also depend on what you're cleaning as much as anything.

As to brands?? I've had several (to maintain pool decks, sidewalks, driveways, etc) and there really isn't much difference. They're all made in Asia anyway.

I call it 'Hair Dryer' equipment. Buy it, use it until it breaks, throw it away and buy another one.

As to gasoline powered pressure washers? They suck.

/ Pressure washer #4  
I PW ALL my equipment regularly. I just use a nozzle that produces a wide, soft spray and use a detergent that disperses grease, oil and filth. My best purchase was a 'Foam Cannon' that attaches to the end of the PW wand that I can apply various washing and degreasing compounds with. Best 20 bucks I ever spent. Myself, I use a hot water electric powered (220) pressure washer with an American made motor (Marathon) and an American made (CAT) pump, assembled here (Kenosha, Wisconsin) by American workers.

Cheap ones will be imported but a good one will be domestic.

Last edited:
   / Pressure washer #5  
I don’t have any specific brand to endorse BUT, if your going to use ANY type of cleaner and use the pw tank to disperse it onto your dirty machine.. U GOTTA FLUSH IT W CLEAN WATER BEFORE STORING..otherwise some sort of “unloader valve” gets stuck and it won’t work correctly anymore.!!
I've found it easier to use the 'foam cannon' rather than detergent injection through the pump myself. Like the foam cannon because most injectors ues low pressure whereas the foam cannon is high pressure.

I keep my PW in a heated shop in the winter so no issue with freezing which will destroy any PW. It cracks the ceramic pistons in the pump. Used to run RV antifreeze through it to store it. Don't even do that anymore though I do change the pump oil every year. 30 weight non detergent oil for me.

/ Pressure washer #6  

I use one for concrete, etc but do not recommend one for equipment. Best to wet, spray with liquid soap of some sort or sprinkle dry soap, wash off with garden hose. Pressure washers are too high pressure.

We've something called Black Cat electric one. The solution thing has never worked on it, but otherwise it's a good machine.

/ Pressure washer #7  
I've been pressure washing equipment (asphalt pavers, road chippers, road tractors and tri axles, trailers, Etc) for decades. Including the engines.
Pressure wash my tractor , zero turns and UTV regularly (including the engines). Never an issue.

/ Pressure washer #8  
I've been pressure washing equipment (asphalt pavers, road chippers, road tractors and tri axles, trailers, Etc) for decades. Including the engines.
Pressure wash my tractor , zero turns and UTV regularly (including the engines). Never an issue.
Me either. Have an old Craftsman gas PW still runs great. Pulled the carb and cleaned it a couple of times. Gone through a few hoses. I have three tips from wide (soft) to narrow, and a turbo head. A bit of a pain to get to the work location, etc. Driveway, RV, decks, patios, side of house prior to painting. Doubt I will outlive it.

/ Pressure washer #9  
... a hot water ...pressure washer with an American made motor (Marathon) and an American made (CAT) pump, assembled here ...

Cheap ones will be imported but a good one will be domestic.

Hot water works well on grease. Gas unit if you want a lot of pressure and flow. Diesel or propane heater for high flow hot water, Quality electric or gas motors...Honda very popular if you go with gas. Electric more convenient than gas. CAT pumps are excellent.

I had a 2 gpm 1500 psi electric. A bit of a toy. Now have gas 2.5 gpm 3000 psi....a good unit. Want 4 gpm 4000 psi...heated!

BTW...pressure washers are great for removing heavy dirt... If you want concours clean, break out the wash mitt...there is no substitute for some gentle agitation with a quality mitt and a balanced ph. shampoo.

/ Pressure washer #10  
I have a 3500 psi hot water unit with a 5 horsepower Marathon single phase 220 motor. You can get high pressure units with electric motors versus gas. Mine is an MTM btw. 5 horse electric is equal to a 10 horse gas. Mine does hot water or wet steam. Pressure and power is totally dependent on the capacity of your wallet.